How do I blur?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
Below is a photo that I took and quite like but does'nt stand out.
Now im no expert :thinking: but i think there is too much going on in the foreground and the boat sailing past does'nt really stand out.
Therefore I thought about blurring the picture (olnly slightly) but keeping the red sailing boat and its reflection in focus.
Dont know even if it would improve the shot :shrug:

Question is how do I do this? Please someone explain.
I assume it can be done, but I have tried all night with blur filters but got nowhere :shake:

Any other comments about processing the image in CS3 to improve it ?

0054.jpg

Select the boat any way you want to, I used the pen tool set to paths, ran round the boat to make a closed path, right click make selection, then edit/copy (ctrl + c) and edit/paste (ctrl + V) so the boat is on a new layer.

Go back to the first layer and filter/blur/Gaussian Blur..I used 2 so its more visible here...

blur.jpg

I hope this is what you where after.

Steve...:)

Sorry..just realised you wanted the reflection also...but now you should be able to do it for yourself.

Steve...:)

You have to be really careful with introducing artificial blurring to an image because if it isn't done subtly then it stands out a mile & is very obvious.
I recommend reading up on using layer masks & using feathered brushes to get a more subtle effect with gaussian blur (y)

I recommend reading up on using layer masks & using feathered brushes to get a more subtle effect with gaussian blur (y)

Still loads to read and learn in photoshop, seem to spend all night in there ;)

Perhaps I should spend more time in the first place, taking better pictures :LOL:

Back