How do i create this effect in either post or with strobes?

Edit My Images
No
Hi i want to try and achieve this simple look on photoshop or by natural in underexposing the whole image and creating a small light strip that highlights the correct exposure like this

View: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/831125306219595419/

or this

View: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/256001560056790546/

any suggestions?

i got a couple of softboxes in my stduio, one is rectangle one and i tried covering the whole softbox with a simple black roll of thick paper and i cut a small strip where the light would come out from my softbox and could not get tthe desired effect.

Move the light source further away from the modifier. Its the effect when you get a light source 93 million miles away from a blind.
Ahh ok cool so I can just use a bare bones flash and block the light using the same black piece of paper I made?

With your softbox mask; first, remove the diffusion. Second, make a mask for the strobe which has a small hole in it (maybe 1"), it should cover the flash area/opening and sit very close to the bulb.
The mask w/ a small opening makes the flash/source much smaller/harder... it also eats/wastes a lot of flash power (watch out for heat buildup).

The other option is to use direct/hard window light and mask the window.

Last edited:
As others have said above. The easiest way of doing it is to use either cinefoil or a piece of card, cut out the required shape, put it as close as possible to the subject and move the light as far away as possible. You will then get that lighting effect with a very sharp edge.

Move the light closer to the gobo (because that is what your piece of Cinefoil or card will be) and / or move the gobo further away from the subject to get a softer result.

I found masking a speed light leaving just a small hole worked well to get nice sharp edges for the gobos. Experiment with the distance from light to gobo (further is better) and gobo to subject (closer is better).

Back