Beginner How do I focus with macro lens?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently picked up a couple of old film cameras and a few lenses to get into photography but wanted to ask what is probably a dumb question before I waste all my film spools.

One of my lenses is a macro lens which will probably end up being my most used lens. My cameras both have a split prism and micro prism focusing rings. When I line up a shot and focus the split prism, everything in the inner circle is crystal clear, however all of the surrounding area in the view finder is blurry. Will my photo be in focus, or just the very centre part? I know there is a certain depth of field to the surroundings ect. But it does this when I line up to a flat object also?

Do I just click and trust that the entire object is now in focus?

Hi Dan,

It's perfectly normal for the area outside the prism on a split prism screen to look less defined. If the prism indicates good focus then everything in the subject plane will be in focus....the subject plane being perpendicular to the lens axis at the same distance. As you state, the DoF will be quite thin.

Bob

Last edited:
Use the depth of field preview button (if the cameras have one)

With a fresnel screen it's easier to see what's in focus with it pressed.

The image will get darker the further you stop the lens down.

Excellent thank you. I never even though about it as a subject plane before, that makes a lot of sense.

Back