How do I get rid of wind movement when doing a landscape image

Edit My Images
Yes
when taking images with loads of trees in the distance and green grass all around there images seem to be like they are out of focus, I can see the issue I just don't know the solution any advice would be helpful.

cool thats nice and easy : )

Well yes, but landscape images are generally shot with a small aperture to increase depth of field, which generally means slower shutter speeds so you need to decide which is more important to you, depth of field or movement. You could up your ISO if your camera allows it without introducing to much noise. This will increase your shutter speed while retaining the aperture at the risk of introducing some noise.

You could slow the shutter and use the movement in the trees and grass as part of the story you’re trying to tell.

Or you could wait until the wind stops blowing.

I am not a fan of noise but would rather up my ISO to resolve blury pictures, like to shoot between f8-f11 when possible.

Get a sturdier tripod (3 leg segments are better than 5), stand between the wind and your camera, take the strap off the camera, wait until the wind dies down a bit. If they don’t work, then start trying things that will affect your image quality like ISO.

As mentioned, you need a faster shutter speed. Either by higher ISO or bigger aperture - Also, not all landscape images need front to back focus & small apertures ;)

As Tom says, you could try to block the wind a little with your body, I don't use a camera strap for landscapes (I do have PD Leash though for quick attachment if I do some other time) Make sure the tripod is sturdy & stable, 2 second timer too.

The answer to achieve a faster shutter speed to freeze vegetation movement and retain your depth of field is to focus stack.

Shoot multiple images at a wider aperture then align them and stack them in post.

Or embrace the movement and go even slower with the shutter speed (smaller aperture, lower ISO or ND filter) to completely blur it.

I’ve just reread your question and realised it’s not about camera shake but wind moving vegetation (sorry). Ignore my earlier suggestions!

Most modern cameras can give relatively clean images at ISO 1600 - some even higher so I would have a play and shoot at increasing ISOs to keep your shutter speed high enough to freeze the movement while maintaining your desired aperture. Easy enough to bin any that are too noisy or blurry.

From the heading quote " How do I get rid of wind movement when doing a landscape image"

I was going to suggest trying a stomach product to get rid of your wind.

Last edited:
The answer to achieve a faster shutter speed to freeze vegetation movement and retain your depth of field is to focus stack.

Shoot multiple images at a wider aperture then align them and stack them in post.

Or embrace the movement and go even slower with the shutter speed (smaller aperture, lower ISO or ND filter) to completely blur it.

Focus stacking does not work with moving grass and leaves.

Embrace the movement. [emoji6]

Or as said, either wait for a lull, use a faster shutter speed etc.

About ISO, I wouldn't *normally* use above 400 for landscape, even with a low-noise FF sensor unless you want that look. I did some recent pictures at 400 and can see the noise even at websize, although it doesn't quite spoil them.

This was a serious issue when I tried to take Infrared shots using an R72 filter on a standard DSLR. Exposures typically had to be around 30 seconds. Obviously you have to use a sturdy tripod but I found the blurring of clouds and foliage caused by the wind unacceptable. There were many other problems such as focussing and estimating exposure so I had an older DSLR converted to IR. The settings are more or less the same now as for standard photography. I do not recall this being a problem for standard photography but clearly at sunrise or sunset or high winds you would have to adjust. A quick analysis with LR suggests that most of my landscapes are shot at ISO 100 in the past and ISO 200 in recent times. The shutter speed is normally between 1/100 and 1/640. A typical sunny UK summer landscape appear to be 1/200 at f9 ISO 100. I also checked on one of my favourites a shots taken the morning after a storm near Langdale Pike. The wind was very strong but breaks in the cloud allowed sun on the summit and the settings were 1/640 f8 and 200 ISO.

A tip is to look at the EXIF data for various of your images and see how the image looks for different settings so you can see the effect of the different settings. I did this when I first learnt photography but it was film and a notebook in those days.

Dave

Last edited:
Focus stacking does not work with moving grass and leaves.

Yes it does I've done it multiple times.

It just requires a bit of manual blending.

I appreciate it is dependent on the actual scene though and any overlap of motion in the foreground/background.

Last edited:
Back