How do I improve?

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this.....

My main interest is Bike racing & although I think I've improved over the last couple of years I'm still miles behind how good I want to be .

I shot with a D90 & Sigma 150-500 or Tamron 70-300 & reasonably happy with the results until I see images posted by the likes of : Rab34 , yamahatdm, paulshaz etc

Thats the level I want to reach but I'm struggling with the "HOW TO"

I do have a very limited budget but surely it can't all be down to equipement....or can it ? I understand that prime lens give better results due to the quality of the glass...........I'll never be able to afford a prime lens so have to work towards improving my work using what I've got .I started using a mono pod & found that it helps loads , I use IS2 on the Sigma but the Tamron doesn't have any IS.

Its really getting me quite down so any thoughts , advice etc would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Hi all
Not really sure if this is the right place to post this.....

My main interest is Bike racing & although I think I've improved over the last couple of years I'm still miles behind how good I want to be .

I shot with a D90 & Sigma 150-500 or Tamron 70-300 & reasonably happy with the results until I see images posted by the likes of : Rab34 , yamahatdm, paulshaz etc

Thats the level I want to reach but I'm struggling with the "HOW TO"

I do have a very limited budget but surely it can't all be down to equipement....or can it ? I understand that prime lens give better results due to the quality of the glass...........I'll never be able to afford a prime lens so have to work towards improving my work using what I've got .I started using a mono pod & found that it helps loads , I use IS2 on the Sigma but the Tamron doesn't have any IS.

Its really getting me quite down so any thoughts , advice etc would be much appreciated

thanks in advance

Hi from another one looking to improve, so dont take my suggestions as difinitive.

Images look really sharp to me if somewhat dark. Can you tweak the levels in PS?

What shutter speed did you use? the images are sharp but lack a sense of motion. The advice I have been getting from this forum is to use a shutter speed of 1/125 for panning shots, have to say I struggle with this speed but have more sucess at 1/200, still only about 10% of the total shots taken though.

Hope this helps, I am sure the experienced forum posters will give even better advice.

Cheers,

Rodders.

Hi ya

back from work so can post a pic or 2 for hopefully some advice on how to improve:)
Took these at the weekend at Olivers mount & was quite pleased until I saw Rab34's shots

DSC_2669 by llj666, on Flickr

DSC_2789 by llj666, on Flickr

I can't post his here (least I don't think so) but his thread is in Motorsport under title...Cock o The North .

I don't think they are that bad but when I compare to thers they seem very small....I mean in terms of the size of the bike...not sure if I'm making much sense but hopefully you'll get the basic gist ?

Not sure what lens he uses (will nip to his post & ask ) . Likewise the shots from Yamahdtm & paulshaz are equally stunning , so clear & bright & sharp .

I desparately want to improve but am stumped & gradually getting really down about it

So...any ideas , tips etc much appreciated, thanks in advance,Lynne

Lynne IMHO you got the most important part - you want to improve and you are looking for ways to improve:)

What I found the most useful and still do is to look at others peoples work to see what you like and pinch the ideas they have. If they have left there exif data intact look at that to see what shutter speed etc they have used.

If you can't afford to get a prime try to work out in what conditions your pesent lens work best - not easy but hopefully given time a pattern will emerge.
Mind you saying that if you could afford to upgrade IMHO the best bang for buck you can get is the Nikon 300mm f4 - I know Paul (one half of paulshaz fame uses one) and look for spcomp stuff, I beleive all he carries about now is a 300mm f4 along with a t/c. You could probaly get one for 650ish s/h and if you could stretch to a s/h D300.
Most important is get out and shoot - the more pratice the better - try to work what sort of shot you want before you take it.
Been looking at your lastest post, nowt wrong with those (haven't had the time to comment, will try to tommorrow) and a lot better than I was taking after a couple of years

Thanks Graham......

had a feeling that a prime lens might help , need to start saving the pennies as I also fancy upgrading the D80 having found that the D90 is so far ahead of it .

I have so much to learn....biggest thing is to shoot within the limitations of my kit & not get down when they're not as good as I want... the Tamron 70-300 is not the best lens for the job when trying to shoot from a distance but ok closer up....& I need to speed up my reactions :LOL:

Need to get a programm that reads exif as well cos as you say , picking up on what settings work for others in given situations will help a lot .

Onwards & upwards as they say (y)

Have a read and ask questions when you look through other posts as Graham has said and check exif info if you can for shutter speeds and apertures. Look at the basic rules of photography such as which way the light falls on a subject at times of day on tracks and adjust your shooting spots around this.Its a good thing to also read about the rule of thirds even if you dont use it but if you learn the rules first you can then start to bend them to your own personal style.

There is no doubt that better gear makes a difference but i still see people with older kit and run of the mill lenses that put my work to shame and i have lost count of how much i have spent over the years.

Keep at it and dont give up as once everything clicks in place its well worth the effort and frustration,but dont forget we all have our bad days and you only see the ones we get right and never see the hundreds we get wrong (y).

There is nothing wrong with the photos you've posted (I bet many racers would gladly have the 2nd shot hanging on there wall), but at the same time nothing in those photos that better kit could or would improve (hope that comment doesn't sound too harsh, it isn't meant to offend). As Gadget-Guy said there is no doubt good kit helps but there are many experienced people out there using 'unfashionable' or older kit that put most of us to shame, the reason being they really know what they are doing and fully understand how to get the best out of what they have.

As others have said look at other peoples shot, try and work out what it is about it that you like and how you could replicate it or better still try to improve on it. Shots you don't like or not so keen on to, try and understand why it doesn't work for you and what you would have done differently.

There is a post on the forum with lists of exif viewing software:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=251252

not everyone keeps them intact but its worth checking (y)

(and thanks for the compliment, a nice thing to read after a long nightshift :LOL:)

Last edited:
Hi Lynne
I am in the same situation as you. Would just like to say that the comments and advice have been very helpful to me so thanks for starting this thread. Being a newbie I have found the best thing to do is not to look at Graham and the others pictures because I found myself :crying: and :bang: :LOL: Like with all things its practice practice and don't give in.
Good Luck
Gary

Thanks for all the replies guy's...much appreciated .

Got some ideas from you all that I'm gonna try out at the next I'm at...Cadwell in August for the Hottrax Endurance.... so if anyone else is there come n say hello....eays to spot...Blond hair with a camera welded to my face :LOL:

I'm gonna improve using my current kit ( or die trying !) then , when I think I'm being held back by my stuff I'll splash some cash.....lots of time to save then :)

Last edited:
What is it you don't like about the photos you posted? You mentioned size of the bike, but the composition works for both shots.

Hi Lynne, probably 90% of this site feels the same way as you, me included !! You are right about the other photos, they seem so much clearer, brighter & the colours are so vivid, not sure if it is the lens, settings or post production, probably a mix of all !! All we can do is keep trying, i love to get to the bikes, did Mugello Moto-GP this year, awesome, At Mugello Nobody Sleeps haha , good luck

Hey Lynne - primes don't have to be expensive, my wife uses the Tamron 90mm (more than just a macro lens) with some great results and you pick one up for a few hundred quid. Few of her first attempts at Brands Hatch last year

964896819_xxvDC-M.jpg

964897682_N2AVF-M.jpg

964900935_3PZFj-M.jpg

Worth looking into

.DAVID.

david that last pic is ruddy cracking.

Thanks I will let her know - best bit. . . . she didn't even realise she had caught the flame until she processed the photo's the following day.

.DAVID.

Back