How do I make a bounce?

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
As above really, as my plan to get one in time for Thursday has fallen on its backside..
xx

Erm I've heard it called different things and I've seen different things that do the same thing...
I'll explain (or try to). First I was told I needed a white card, then I was told I needed something like a Stofen. I want something to light up the subjects when I'm taking nightclub pics (quite dark backgrounds at times) but it also needs to diffuse the light across the whole shot.

Bouncing the flash off the ceiling/walls will diffuse the light and the white card thing is an old trick used along with bounced flash. The flash head is pointing up but you stick a bit of white card at the back so it sits above the head, this then reflects some of the light forward to help light up the subject and stop shadows in the eyes, etc.

If you are planning on using a white card to meter from rather than the usual grey then there are rules to take into account (hopefully the person that recommended using one will have told you but just in case...)

The white card will reflect around 90% of all light back at your camera - useful in low light therefore but will give you a full 2 stops over that of a grey card (two stops overexposure) due to this (which reflects 18% back) Once you have taken your reading, you'll need to give those extra two stops back by adding two stops more exposure than the reading given.

Hope this makes sense & even though it didn't help with your original question, is still something to watch for (y)

Edit: Didn't realise that you just meant the reflector card in the top of your flash :bonk:

I have tried using the card thing built into my flash, but it doesn't always seem to make much difference.
Although I think my flash is the problem, it sometimes fires as bright as the test flash when I try take a pic, and other times it flashes fine but the pic comes out dark..

Are you using the flash on manual settings or relying on the ETTL (auto) style settings?

If you're using auto then I'd give manual a go as it'll give you more flexibility for creative shots imo (y) Just experiment by dialling down the power & seeing how the different strengths of flash light the foreground/background.

I almost always shoot in Manual (on the camera).
The flash is very basic and has TTL, Mh and Ml settings. Due to a crap (and I mean really crap) instruction book I have no idea what Mh and Ml are, and with any of the 3 settings and any choice of flash exposure compensation, I still have the same flash issues.
x

I suspect Mh is Manual High and Ml is Manual Low.

What flash is it and can you post an example shot where the flash didn't work as you expected?

Although I think my flash is the problem, it sometimes fires as bright as the test flash when I try take a pic, and other times it flashes fine but the pic comes out dark..

What shutter speeds are you using, it could be a sync problem.

What model flash is it and what camera are you using it on, I should have asked this earlier as it makes a big difference. :shake:

I think I deleted all the ones where the flash didn't work properly! I'm using a Canon 350d with a Sigma EF-500 DG ST.
Shutter speed varies from 0"3 to Bulb, depending on the effect I want. Flash is at various angles, from aiming straight at the person to straight up in the air.
x

If you set the camera to 'p' and take a few shots (allowing for the flash to recycle properly) do you have any problems ?

I know the sigma is an ETTL compatible flash gun, but I know someone else who has had a problem, I will ask him how he cured it :)

Switched camera to P and waited for flash (on TTL) to be ready.. first shot - flash didn't even fire, second and third pics were fine, flash fired 4th time but I got a black picture!
x

Make sure you don't have the flash on high speed sync mode (I believe that the DG ST version has that) & check your camera's flash sync speed to make sure you're not catching the shutter.

Try setting your camera to some usual indoor settings (use a tripod if needed for this) & powering up the flash afterwards & then see what happens?

I have no idea how to check the camera's flash sync speed... Still fairly new to all this. The flash only has one switch on the back, and I can set it to off, TTL, Mh or Ml. Nothing else on the flash at all.

I don't think the ST does have HSS mode. It does sounds like something's not quite working right. Any way to check the flash on another body or another flash on your body?

Might be able to try a different flash this weekend, if I can talk my friend into bringing her Speedlite round.

A couple of things to try if you haven't got access to another body

Reset the camera in the menu.
Take the batteries out and with the flashgun on, hit the test button this should clear any settings stored.
New batteries (you would be surprised how many times my flash has played up do to operator error :wacky: )
Make sure the flash is on auto, set the camera to manual say 1/60 and F4 and take a couple of shots in an average size room.

Hope this helps but to be honest the alternative body is the best test ;)

Thanks, I'll keep changing things and see if anything helps. Getting a Speedlite in January providing the problem isn't with my camera body.

Well after all that... re-setting my camera, making a diffuser and changing a few settings... The problem was that the button you press to tilt your flash head up and down at various angles had stuck inwards so my flashgun wasn't getting a proper light reading.
Got the WD40 out and all is well in Chicca Land!

Thanks for all your help.
xx

Back