How do i re print contact images without digital files?

Edit My Images
No
About 5 years ago my mother in law got married and had some images printed. She has a contact sheet of all the pictures taken, and would like some enlarged, the only problem is the photographer never supplied her with digital copies of the images. Now the contact images are 2" x4" and i would like to see if i can have them enlarged in any way without losing the image quality. Could you please help as i have thought about turning them into negatives in the dark room and so on but it is a long process. If there are any other ways could you please let me know! Thank you

You have a couple of problems in doing this. The first is that the Photographer stills owns the copyright so copying them would infringe this.

Secondly the quality of the images you have probably won't be good enough to do anything with. If they are inkjet you'll probably be lucky to get a 50% enlargement before you start seeing the dots that make up the image. If it's Photographic then you may get a bit more out of it but not much as the resolution of photographic paper is fairly low.

Have you thought about contacting the photographer to actually buy some!

Many of the photographers on this Forum rely on people paying for their work

I have contacted the photographer but I'm not too sure his business is still running, and the thing is they paid for the digital files, and even if i can get in touch with the photographer after five years i think it is highly unlikely that he will still have them so i want to enlarge them myself, it's not like she will be using them for commercial use! There are some very sentimental pictures in the contact sheet and i wan to print the for her if the photographer doesn't reply!"
Also I am a photographer myself and i rely on being paid for my work, i'm just not too big on the lab work and after processes.

Last edited:
Back