how do i take this photo?

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been asked to take pictures in the sensory room where i work...
The challenge i face is too be able to get good pictures of the sensory equipment... (lights, bubble tubes, led's, disco balls) so for best results need a longer exposure, but then i need the students facial response to this equipment which if i was shooting seperatly would use high lighting and quick shutter speed.

How do i compromise to create the best picture in this awkward situation!!

Obviously a tripod would be best but again i dont have time to create a situation where by i can get the best results... i will need to move around and capture the picture in the moment!

Am i fighting a loosing battle!?

HELP PLEASE,

you might overexpose if you use high iso paired with flash.
but as above.. i would use 2nd curtain flash or 1st curtain even if it's the initial reaction of students you need to capture

oops - just seen the last paragraph of your post... maybe high ISO then. haha.
or a monopod even?

I have been asked to take pictures in the sensory room where i work...
The challenge i face is too be able to get good pictures of the sensory equipment... (lights, bubble tubes, led's, disco balls) so for best results need a longer exposure, but then i need the students facial response to this equipment which if i was shooting seperatly would use high lighting and quick shutter speed.

How do i compromise to create the best picture in this awkward situation!!

Obviously a tripod would be best but again i dont have time to create a situation where by i can get the best results... i will need to move around and capture the picture in the moment!

Am i fighting a loosing battle!?

HELP PLEASE,
With or without a tripod, to get the faces of the people sharp without motion/subject blur you either have to use flash or a high shutter speed.

Using a high shutter speed (with or without flash) will really limit how much ambient light you get and also how much warmth and richness of colours you can obtain. Obviously you're aware of this as you've said in the first post.

You said that you can't use a tripod; in that case you're going to struggle go slower than a second without risking so much motion blur that the background/ambient becomes a muddled smudge.

Working on that principle and assuming you're using on-camera flash, I'd be setting my camera to manual mode, ISO around 200-800, shutter speed between 1/30 and 1 second, aperture between 2.8 and 5.6 ish (whichever works for you), flash to TTL.

You're going to capture a bit of movement and dynamics from the background with the shutter speed but 'freeze' your subjects with the flash.

This all sounds quite similar to nightclub photography so perhaps googling or searching TP for help on that will prove fruitful!

Back