How do I transfer my music from and IPod to PC/USB.

Edit My Images
Yes
Some years ago I bought a library of tunes from iTunes. I'm no longer on anything Apple, and have no idea of my iTunes log in. I'm now all Android for phones.
Using the iPod in tha car is PIA, and probably illegal to use it on the move. So fiddly.
My car will take music in WMA format - and probably many others as well. Controls are steering wheel based and much more user friendly than iPod.
So how do I get the stuff I want from the iPod onto my PC then I can put it on USB?
I've Googled, of course, but all the answers given want me to download some software whose provenance I know nothing of.
Looks like it can be done without going to iTunes, which I can't get into, so has anyone done this, and how?

Rocket player has a iTunes to Android link just use that if you have the files on your pc.

Otherwise last I looked it wasnt stored in a useful structure on the iDevice to determine what file was a particular artist/track.

Files are not yet on my PC. That's what I'm trying to do - take them off iPod in a format that I can use.
Rocket player doesn't want to download onto my PC.

Found something called Touch Copy that is free and seems just what I want. Antone heard of it?

What sort of iPod - Classic / Nano / Mini or Touch? Anything older than 2009, when Apple stopped using copy protection? Also, if you still have access to the email address you used to register your Apple ID for iTunes, you can recover the password and download to a PC version of iTunes: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201487

Last edited:
It's an iPod Classic, and it is bound to be older than 2009.
Might have the e-mail, will just have to trawl through a few. Will that give me the ability to transfer files to USB and use in non Apple products?

It won't be quite as straightforward as that if they are DRM-protected. If you can recover your account and get your music back into the PC version of iTunes, one method is to take out an iTunes Match subscription for a year (£22 - remember to cancel before it auto-renews next year) and do this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7387027
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2015/01/18/itunes-drm/21964513/

The second link suggests you might also be able to do something similar via the free version of Google Play Music, but it doesn't work for everything.

Alternatively, various third-party tools may allow you to remove the DRM for free from an iTunes or iPod copy, but you have to be careful you aren't downloading some piece of dodgy malware - I haven't tried this, and don't know what packages might be trustworthy.

If it turns out at least some of your music is DRM-free (i.e., you bought it after Apple stopped using copy protection - it's when you bought the music rather than the iPod that matters) there is a pretty simple method you can try that doesn't need anything other than iTunes:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/transfer-music-ipod-computer/

If all else fails there is always the 'burn to CD and re-rip' method, but that's clunky and you will lose quality.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
Not quite sure how I did it but I got the tunes onto my pc following a tutorial.
All work apart from 4 of them which are in ipod format. They were only released after 2009 but I can't get them to play, or amend them. But I'm no techy so that means nothing!!!

I looked at downloading them again and I can get them from Amazon for 99p each. I have to subscribe but get 30 days free. Sneaky me says to join up with a wish list. Then download and cancel. That's the sort if sneaky thing Amazon would do to me!!!

Thanks @ChrisH
As you know I'm not a techy so don't know if mp3 tracks on a USB stick will play in my car audio. The car forum says that the audio accepts Apple format, but it doesn't for these.
MP3 tracks "should" play but then lots of things "should" happen, but never do!!!

I'm going to delve deeper into how and where to download music; something I've never done before, apart from iTunes, which is different.

What is Spotify? Is it safe and reliable?
Anywhere else to consider?

You can also buy mp3 downloads with just an ordinary (free) Amazon shopping account - no need to subscribe if they sell the tracks you want on the main website. They are sometimes cheaper than iTunes. It's also worth looking at the CD on Amazon - some also come with free 'Autorip' downloads when you order the CD, which become available to your account as soon as the order has been accepted. Occasionally this is cheaper than buying only the mp3s.

Thanks. I've just been looking at that. The tracks I want are there and are now in my basket. All I need is a kick up the ***** to pay for them!

Some years ago I bought a library of tunes from iTunes. I'm no longer on anything Apple, and have no idea of my iTunes log in. I'm now all Android for phones.
Using the iPod in tha car is PIA, and probably illegal to use it on the move. So fiddly.
My car will take music in WMA format - and probably many others as well. Controls are steering wheel based and much more user friendly than iPod.
So how do I get the stuff I want from the iPod onto my PC then I can put it on USB?
I've Googled, of course, but all the answers given want me to download some software whose provenance I know nothing of.
Looks like it can be done without going to iTunes, which I can't get into, so has anyone done this, and how?

Google & download a free program called “Pod to PC”. I’ve used it and its perfectly safe, it works with any iPod and should do just what you want.

George.

Back