How do you become a photography teacher?

Edit My Images
No
Bored with my career. Need a change.

Anyone know how easy it would be to become a photography teacher? Would I need a degree in photography?

Cheers.

FlyTVR

One of my photobuddies teaches photography, her department has over 200 students doing photography. She's very approachable and I suspect would be happy to talk with you. If you think this would help PM me and I'll pass on your request.

I know several photography teachers, there's a mixtures of ways they got in to it, some started directly after finishing their own photography degrees at college, one worked in the college as an assistant for a while then started doing night school courses etc, they're now a full time tutor. The other guys I know have/still are pro togs who either tutor part time or full time depending on how their business is doing

Have a look here:
http://www.tda.gov.uk/recruit.aspx?ilewa=10000428

Need a degree, preferably in the area you wish to teach. You could then possibly work and train at same time GTP - Graduate Teacher Training Program.

If GTP is your route then it may help to know a few teachers who may be ablet o introduce to ou to the school.

The link above should give you different options :)

Bored with my career. Need a change.

Anyone know how easy it would be to become a photography teacher? Would I need a degree in photography?

Cheers.

FlyTVR

Suppose it depends on your qualifications, both educational and in Photography. In general a degree is needed for Pre 16 Teaching but not for youth and adult learning.
What photography qualifications or accreditation do you have????

Just looked at some of your previous posts:
This from Nov 2009:

Which light meter?
I am going to purchase a light meter. Hands up, I know very little about them - so can anyone shed some 'light' :) on how much I need to spend etc

Cheers.

TeaVR

And you want to be a Photography Teacher:bang::bang::bang:

Suppose it depends on your qualifications, both educational and in Photography. In general a degree is needed for Pre 16 Teaching but not for youth and adult learning.
What photography qualifications or accreditation do you have????

I'm degree educated and have about 10 years of lecturing experience (in I.T, adults). No formal photography qualifications.

This from Nov 2009:

Not sure I get your point. Do you think all teachers of any subject know EVERYTHING about the subject they teach, I can assure you they dont :) Personally never had a need for a light meter and so would have no idea how to use one, but still don't think that would prevent me from teaching 'photography' in general.

This from Nov 2009:

If you can't contribute to a valid thread then I personally would prefer it if you didn't bother. I suspect most other readers would agree.

No, school teacher.

The trouble is photography isn't even taught in most schools. Where it is it's often only done at A level and there will probably one be one class. I've just had a peek at the job search on the TES web site and it's not even listed as a subject.

You will probably have to teach something else and do the photography as a sideline. That's the way it works here, photography is taught by an art teacher (oddly before that it was taught by a Chemistry teacher).

If you have a degree you can study for a PGCE, this will take one year if you have a relevent degree. There are also two year conversion courses for those who have an irrelevent degree (my ex took this route to before an English teacher, while having a degree in Auctioneering and Valuation).

:LOL: not entirely, I know some amazing photographers who teach. But like lots of advertising photographers, especially in London they're having to either slash their prices or find new ways of getting income.

Hairyduck said it all..... So what you are saying Kev is that those who who can't make in the commercial world turn to teaching?????

Get ready to duck.........

I teach evening classes in Basic Digital Photography, Basic Photoshop and Advanced Photography at my local Theatre Education centres.
All has to be according to HNC guidelines, plus it gives me teaching credits towards a full-time teaching career if I ever wanted to go down that path.

Oh and I get paid extra...a lot.

Most Adult Education Centres offer similar schemes - all you need is a thorough knowledge of the subject and the ability to engage at all levels.
Your lesson plans are reviewed beforehand to ensure what you are actually telling people isn't all BS and that you do actually have a clue about your subject.

Remember that if teaching basic digital photography that all your students will have different cameras, so you'll have to be familiar with about every compact digi camera in existence...
Forget trying to teach exposure and DoF, cause the cameras won't let you do it and the students will get very frustrated trying to apply those techniques with inferior kit.
Keep to composition and post-production and show lots of real-life examples.

I'm an ICT teacher and I recently had a go at running a photography club. Despite how much you know it's really difficult to try and describe that to a group of 15 year olds. I feel like I know my way around the theory really well but composition and the like is difficult to teach.

I'm an ICT teacher and I recently had a go at running a photography club. Despite how much you know it's really difficult to try and describe that to a group of 15 year olds. I feel like I know my way around the theory really well but composition and the like is difficult to teach.

You're not wrong...lol
Luckily my first job as an Army Phot was teaching 'SF' surveillance and covert photography - if you can get the basics across to those solid mutts, you can teach anyone...lol

The last thing school kids need is bored ******s hoping for some easy money.
In my view one is born to teach children because of a desire to help the next generation.
But it's only my view!

The last thing school kids need is bored ******s hoping for some easy money.
In my view one is born to teach children because of a desire to help the next generation.
But it's only my view!

Who said anything about children - I'm talking Adult ed...not spotty teenage herberts...screw 'em, bloody ingrates, the lot of them...get them up chimneys where they belong: learn 'em some proper values and standards...

Send um out 2 Irawk of Afginastan, that would solve things there!

hmmm...maybe digging drainage ditches and cleaning latrines - wouldn't want them outside the wire...

Back