How do you check sharpness?

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how you can check sharpness, i use a D7000 and post process in aperture.

Thanks for your help.

Look at the edges of objects in the photo - they should be nice and sharp. :)

Ah ok so i guess it is a measure of how little the camera moved while taking the shot?

No, it is a measure of the resolving power of the lens - basically zoom into 100% and if it looks sharp then you have a sharp lens.

What you describe is motion blur caused by camera shake which is what happens when the shutter speed is too slow, the rule of them is that the shutter speed needs to be 1.5x the focal length (on a crop body).

No, it is a measure of the resolving power of the lens - basically zoom into 100% and if it looks sharp then you have a sharp lens.

What you describe is motion blur caused by camera shake which is what happens when the shutter speed is too slow, the rule of them is that the shutter speed needs to be 1.5x the focal length (on a crop body).

Thanks! Thats such a good tip!

So at 50mm need to have shutter speed between 70 and 80? I guess that is for hand held shots and for tripods you can pretty much shoot whatever as long as its stable.

the rule of them is that the shutter speed needs to be 1.5x the focal length (on a crop body).

That's the minimum but it also depends on the steadiness of the operator etc and how close to the subject you are - macro shots need a MUCH higher minimum speed.

So the closer to the subject the higher the minimum speed i suspect?

Just take a photo with a lot of edges in it at a high shutter speed and look at it at 100% on your computer. You'll soon see if it's sharp. I've never had a problem with front or rear focussing on my lenses so I've never needed a distance scale etc. If I'm happy with the results the lens gives me then thats fine by me.

Back