How do you come up with your inspiration?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm well into this years 366 project, but already I can see patterns emerging - kids, macro, street, bird - and rotate...

What would you do to spice it up?

I did see the A to Z of inspiration here and considered picking a letter a day.

Now the next thing is how do you keep to these when you've a day with no time (I'm sometimes sent away on work which usually means work, hotel, work, hotel etc - now late time I took some weird images of the hotel room and of work, but it was a little flat especially as I only dare take the point and shoot).

Anyway all suggestions very welcome :)

Ta,

John

There are some pretty inspirational photographs on Flickr. I browse thru them a lot. A range of the most inspiring photographs are actually self-portraiture which is an art I haven't been able to master so far. An interesting idea might be to take an inspiring shot from a favourite photographer & perhaps interpret the photograph to create your own based on the concept or composition or whichever element of it attracted you to that photograph.

Regarding finding the time, I don't suppose taking more than one shot on one particularly free day is cheating. You can always catch up if need be, it's a tough dedication to take a photograph a day afterall.

I hope I'm making sense :} & that this was the sort of post you were looking for to answer your thread.

Last edited:
Plagiarism.

I too look through my contact in Flickr a very good point of inspiration for me

Les (y)

On the Huh said:
Plagiarism.

Of course I didn't mean that.

I just meant why not take an element in a photograph that inspires you & interpret that in your own way, whether be a concept, an angle, a post processing technique, whatever. I'm not talking about creating an identical piece of work!

Im not in any self motivation projects like 365 or picture per week or smth like that. Im even to lazy to take any pictures at all, but when my heart starts to shout "oi mate where is your new pictures?!" I take a gas mask and start looking. Sometimes it takes seconds, sometimes hour, I cant even explain why, but the mask inspires me...

During my 365s, especially in the 2nd year, I tried to think of random techniques I'd never tried. Anything from HDR, light-painting, tracking shots of cars, anything vaguely different and tried to read a few quick guides into the basic technique.

I also repeated the same basic things over and over from different places, views, with different props!

It really can be hard, I've found myself getting in a bit of a rut recently and sticking to landscapes, I guess because I've got better at them so enjoy them more but also because I've had so many wonderful sunset opportunities this year (y)

But I'm trying to break that now and get back to why I started out on this challenge, the core value of which was to try new stuff, new styles and new techniques, I'm determined to learn about layers etc in PS (y)

Matt

John.... Personally I try not looking to others for inspiration... I started the prime challenge in oktoberfest setting my own rules...from there it blossomed .. I admit I have chosen selective colour as a technique for most of my months...but I incorporate different subjects and genre. I left sc for landscapes ... Then picked up on movies as a topic for May... On top of all of this I do self portraits ... Ideas were running dry I'll admit then may came. Movies... And so my sp carry on in the movies vein ..

And cramming two years of 365 into approx one isn't easy. I am my own worst critic at times and won't post a shot if I've struggled with it.

..and for July. I'm hoping to go back to my only prime. The nifty fifty. The subject though is questionable...and this being July...id better get my thinking cap on..

Back