How do you cut your mount board?

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Two questions really,

How do you cut your mount board?

On what surface do you cut it?

To explain, I cut ours with a Stanley knife with a new blade per 2 mounts, use a sheet of MDF as surface on the bed. Works but kills my back.

Cutting on MDF will very quickly create an uneven surface. A proper cutting mat would be better as it will stay flat.

I have one of these at work:

Misomex-MP3000-2.jpg

Cuts card up to about five feet square!

Steve.

Last edited:
Thanks gents,

I am not sure that the Machine will fit in my house Steve! Like it though.

The Logan cutter looks interesting, but needs mounting on something.
What table or surface is your mounted on John?

I use a Wizard computer cutter as in the pic below.

cuts jumbo size mountboard.

15-1_750.jpg

Again, thanks for the response folks.

Have a Logan Team System 24" unit, struggled with it and took it to be the kit....bad workman blame the tools!
Is the Logan Elite cutter substantially better made and easier to use?

What surface do you all rest on, as in table, work bench etc. and what height?
This sounds mad, but a present I use the bed.
It's been a very close call a couple of times to a slice into the quilt!

We also have a Wizard CMC which is only viable on quite large scale production and sales.
We sell mounts all over the country in all shapes and sizes and is a must for us but for your own stuff better off investing a few hundred quid in a second hand
Keencut Ultimate Gold mount cutter, with a bit of practice you will be able to cut all sorts of mounts.

I use a Longridge Duo cutter, and it works fine

www.longridge.co.uk

This comes with 2 cutters, one vertical for the outside edge cuts and an angled cutter for cutting the display aperture

I use the Logan 24" Team System model 424 on a A2 self healing cutting mat on the kitchen worktop

Again thanks folks for the replies.
I am going to give a new A2 mat and the worktop a try with the 24" Logan team system we have.
The other options look good but involve more money and I want to try the least expensive option a go first.
Let you know how it goes.

Thank you Chris and everyone else, new cutting mat arrived, have watched video and hacked away at some mount.
It's getting better, as with all photographic things it's a case of Practice, Practice, Practice!

Seen a few people mention blade life. I know replacing blades isn't particularly costly, but keeping them sharp is even cheaper! Done some labouring for a carpet fitter, and we used sharpeners like this . Quick sharpen after every few long cuts, and blades would last for days. Without is, a blade could easily be blunt (or at least dull) in a matter or hours.

Back