How do you eat yours?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
My first attempt at these and i got very irrate until they started to work. I dont have a seperate flash so best i could manage was a spot light and even then i could only get down to 1/500 shutter speed.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

My comments - not enought light - shutter speed too slow. :bang:

Oh and the camera appears to have been on a wonk.............

What was the ISO? Maybe higher ISO and faster shutter speed??

Andy - Auto ISO and shutter speed maxed out at 200 with on board flash. settings would you suggest? I may try later with a brighter lamp to avoid using the on board flash.

1st off take the settings off auto! In allot of cases auto is fine but not for what you're trying to do..... in my opinion. Also i never use the flash.

I would set the ISO to 400 Use AV mode on the dial (where auto is) and use a wide aperture like f4 or f5.6. The AV mode will automatically set the shutter speed. Take a shot and see what happens and how bright the image is. if it's very bright (over exposed) turn the ISO down to 200 and have another go.

Get a balance between the aperture setting and ISO and just test until it looks right. You could try TV setting to get the shutter speed you want which will automatically set the aperture (f number) but don't forget to adjust the ISO if it too light or dark. Take a shot and again adjust accordingly.

Also if you can, set the White balance to 'tungsten light' (pic of a light bulb) as this will reduce the orange colouring of your pic and make it look more natural.

Keep at it as you're nearly there and the Canon 450D is a good camera. Good luck.

One more thing, if you are new to photography learn about exposure either from the interweb or buy a book. Understanding how it all works will make for better images.

Last edited:
Andy - thats extremely helpful - i am going to head to the library at the weekend and pick up a couple of books that a few people have suggested.

I am struggling with the Sigma 105, and need to get it sorted. I have a great camera and a great lens but useless knowledge which is holding back my photography.

It will take time, but i am going to use your instructions this evening and will post some better efforts. I think part of the problem that i have is that i have had the camera 6 weeks, have bought two new lenses, and am stuck with the internal flash. In hindsight, I should have spent the money on books and learnt the camera before spending so much money!!

A fool and his money..........

Read-digest-understand-practice and practice some more (y)

Mind you my shots are c**p :LOL:

Back