Review How do you find Canon 1.8 50mm MKI over 1.8 50mm MKII

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I am currently looking to exchange my Canon 5d (downsizing) for a 50d and a 50mm MKI 1.8

I havnt used a 50mm before but from the reviews it comes across as a great lens.

Could I just get some comments on the difference between the older one and the MKII as the MKI seems to be coming in a little more expensive than the MKII?!? :shrug:

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers

Pete

Hi,

I am currently looking to exchange my Canon 5d (downsizing) for a 50d and a 50mm MKI 1.8

I havnt used a 50mm before but from the reviews it comes across as a great lens.

Could I just get some comments on the difference between the older one and the MKII as the MKI seems to be coming in a little more expensive than the MKII?!? :shrug:

Many Thanks in advance

Cheers

Pete

Just a quick note (and sorry if you've already thought about it), but to give the same field of view on your 5D at 50mm, you'll need around 30mm on a cropped sensor camera. Personally I find 50mm a bit of a strange length to use on my 50D. I was considering getting one, so I set my Tamron 17-50 at 50mm and went for a walkabout, and wasn't keen on the focal length, you might be different though!

The Mk1 has a metal mount and a focal distance scale window thingy, but the mk 2 doesn't. Optically, there's nothing in it though.

Chris

The Mk 1 imho is sharper and build quality is superior. Also will hold it's value better than the lightweight nifty fifty any day

I have a Mk1 and am looking for reasons to upgrade to Canon 1.4 or 1.2 other than faster, quieter USM & extra light gathering abilities,

Thats how good the Mk1 is

Out of interest are you downsizing your kit because of size/weight or value £££ ?

Al'

Last edited:
I have a Mk1 and am looking for reasons to upgrade to Canon 1.4 or 1.2 other than faster, quieter USM & extra light gathering abilities,

Thats how good the Mk1 is

Out of interest are you downsizing your kit because of size/weight or value £££ ?

Al'

Hi,

I purchased the MK1 some time back and am very happy with it, I also picked up a 1.4 and to be honest for the general use I give them both there is no reason to go for the 1.4 I think only a pro using daily would appreciate it.

I have down sized, simply I just dont use my gear enough, more so since having a baby in February. carrying several lenses plus flash etc etc plus baby became too much.
I decided to go for the 50d (built in flash) and a few small lenses, im happy so far as I now seem to use the camera more.

Pete

It is amazing how heavy a kit can be, glad you are enjoying your new kit, what did you pay for mark 1 lens Pete, please?

It is amazing how heavy a kit can be, glad you are enjoying your new kit, what did you pay for mark 1 lens Pete, please?

Hi Jango,

Cant actually remember but I think it was either £140 or £150 in mint condition and £305 for the 1.4

Pete

The only 50mm I haven't had is the 50L, and I preferred the Mk1 to both the Mk2 and the f1.4.

I took a couple of shots today on my Mk1 to advertise my bellows:

50mm f1.8 Mk1 at min focus

minfocus50mm.jpg

50mm on bellows at full extension infinity focus!

Maxmag50mm.jpg

The only 50mm I haven't had is the 50L, and I preferred the Mk1 to both the Mk2 and the f1.4.

I took a couple of shots today on my Mk1 to advertise my bellows:

50mm f1.8 Mk1 at min focus

Yeah to be honest I mainly use the MK1 here are two pictures I posted in the current 'show us your nifty pics'

p877397773-3.jpg

p387106988-3.jpg

Full size pics in link below

I had one for a good while (a Mk1) Brilliant lens, I got it on Ebay for £25 on an EOS600, I loved it even after it went wrong, the aperture motor failed so I had to shoot it wide open or it gave ERR99 and then the focus motor failed.... I still used it quite a bit though.

The Mk 1 imho is sharper and build quality is superior. Also will hold it's value better than the lightweight nifty fifty any day

The build quality is certainly true but other than that I believe they are identical internally so how the mk1 can be sharper I do not know. Holding the value is a bit of a miss leader as well, yes the mk1 will always be worth more but you paid more for it in the first place and second hand mark 2's don't really loose value either, buy brand new and you might see a drop allthough mine is actually worth more second hand than I paid for it brand new 2 years ago!

The focus ring on the Mk1 is easier to use I think, I had a MK1, it was a stunning lens, I continued to used it even after it stuck at F1.8 and the focus motor failed some time later. I used it till it was stolen.

Back