Beginner How do you get an image on "Explore"?

its easy ,take good photos , the first 200 were easy the next 80+ took a while , not had any for a few years now though

Out of curiosity, why the want to be explored? Just a personal challenge? prestige? commercial gain? ---- the latter two I have not got yet from being explored :) lol

No other reason than curiosity. I use the site to store, what I think are, my good pictures.

its easy ,take good photos , the first 200 were easy the next 80+ took a while , not had any for a few years now though

I bet you don't upload them at 1600px wide or greater. For that reason since Flickr updated the algorithm your photos don't meet the criteria.

Which to me proves it's not about good photos. There is some utter rubbish in explore. The majority in fact...

The algorithm for explore is changed frequently , there is no set way of getting around it . If your pics meet the criteria it will happen , .. these days I just look at the stats I’ve had over 7 million views on my pics so I must be doing summat right . That’s good enough for me

Explore is nothing about image quality or artistic value. Its always been about interestingness, and images that fit in with seasons, world themes, events and obscurities. Upload an image, get people to visit it, interact with it, and get other 'Explored' accounts to comment on it and you'll be in explore in no time. Those are the primary metrics in my experience.

Its always been about interestingness, and images that fit in with seasons, world themes, events and obscurities.

Ah ha! None of my snaps fit with any of those themes explains why I've never been explored! And I thought simply hiding away from any groups and not talking with anyone was all it took. Phewww... I can now rest easy under my rock.

Ah ha! None of my snaps fit with any of those themes explains why I've never been explored! And I thought simply hiding away from any groups and not talking with anyone was all it took. Phewww... I can now rest easy under my rock.

looking forward to seeing you listed soon!

Flickr seems to be really weird at times - use Twitter or Instagram to point to a photo and it will get quite a lot of views, jin a lot of groups, and put a new photo up every day if possible - but tags DEFINITELY help.

But at times I've done nothing for weeks then suddenly got a thousand or two views in a day, then nothing - then a sudden surge - then nothing.

These days I don't really worry about the views.

Most of mine are now 2000px on the long side and usually scaled to 2000x1125 for viewing on 16x9 monitors etc.

Although I've binned my Flickr, last year I pretty much got explored each month using this method *shrug* dunno why it worked, but it did.

Post 1 image,
Title it, add a description
Add the geotag
Don't add it to any groups
Tag the shiz out of it (like 15+ tags).

Also

The more comments you get on it / likes before it's explored seem to help towards it too.

Last edited:
a few years ago when I was having a explored run , I was walking along the beach with a mate when we spotted a broken discarded kiddies spade lying on the beach , he said jokingly I bet you could take a pic of that and make explored I picked it up stuck it in the sand and .. YEP IT DID explored .jpg

I had never heard of explored

One morning I parked my bus up and went for a whiz in the daybreak during this last winter. On my way back I got my phone outof my pocket and aimed it and snapped then carried on my merry way. A short while later I popped it on Flickr. Then for the rest of the day I kept getting notifications and I found it was on explored and I still don’t know much about it. Usually my snaps get a few hundred views but this crappy phone shot got about 4K in the next couple of days and is now over 6k. Wtf is my thoughts. Pic is below

Link to my iPhone snap on explored.

Back