How do you get birds where you want them?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys, ive just taken up bird photography and got myself a decent lens. Only problem is its quite ticky to get the shots im looking for. Im just wondering whats the best setup to have when trying to get birds you want to see?

Like at the moment! Im really after woodpeckers! How would i go around seeing them. I see marks in wood in my local nature reserve, but i see no peckers :(.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Nick

Do they have hides in the reserve ?
If so you just need to sit and be patient, they are incredibly shy I find and move very quick
If no hides then if you know where they are you just need to sit quietly and wait
I got this shot at a zoo, saw something move in a tree, aimed the camera clicked and .............................................the rest is history.

319.jpg

I would say 95% of my bird photography is oppurtunist when out walking find a nice spot with a bush or something to use as camo lay, crouch or sit by and watch the world go by and hope something comes.
During walks if I see something regular in an area then I just go back to that area when I think condidtions would be good and wait sometimes 2-3 hours.
There are a few places local whre I can use the car as hide as for hides in my area I only know of one or the shed in my graden.

The most reliable way to get the perfect shots you want is to have your own "stage" built for the birds that incorporates a regular feeding regime that over time will let the birds find it and then be regular visitors from then on.

A popular technique for wood peckers is to drill holes in a dead tree and push peanuts or suet into the holes (obviously this should only be done with a dead tree and on your own property or with permission). The holes should be drilled in a place that won't be visible in the shots, so that also means deciding where the hide will be first, taking into account where the light will be coming from etc. Put up a hide so that they get used to that too.
An extreme version of this i've seen is a big log with said holes, mounted on a metal stand so it stay's upright by itself and can be put in the boot of a car :LOL:

The other alternative is to find a location where the woodpeckers just visit a lot anyway, sit where the light angle will be nice as possible and wait.

The things you have to do are dependant on the species of bird.
A hide is a very good investment though!

Hey guys, ive just taken up bird photography and got myself a decent lens. Only problem is its quite ticky to get the shots im looking for. Im just wondering whats the best setup to have when trying to get birds you want to see?

Like at the moment! Im really after woodpeckers! How would i go around seeing them. I see marks in wood in my local nature reserve, but i see no peckers :(.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks

Nick

Back