How do you get to photograph 'stuff'...?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Odd question maybe, but I see some really interesting images here of things I wouldn't get the chance to get into, Parkour or skateboarding for example.

There must also be plenty of people out there doing interesting things who would love to get some -hopefully- good photos of what they are up to. Personally I would love to photograph some cars for their owners, I'm sure there are many who would love some shots of their car, and it would give me the practice I crave.

How do you make that connection? Obviously if you have friends who are into certain things then it's easy, but I just wondered what other ways people find interesting projects. I wouldn't be after payment, just want the chance to photograph some different things and hopefully the subject will get something decent for free out if it as well.

Small ads in the local paper maybe? Notices in local shops etc? Or something more creative?

Ask?

The parkour photos that I took at the weekend were the result of me asking them :D

Find someone with a nice car (that doesn't look like they'd kill you ;)) and ask him/her if they'd mind you photographing it, in exchange for a couple of prints.

Never hurts to ask, specially if you're offering something for free ;)

Or something more creative?

That's the one. :D

Perhaps get some cards with your details made up and give them to people doing stuff that interests you. If you see a car somewhere that you like the look of, leave a card with a little note on the back about what you'd like to do.

Not only will you probably get to shoot some cool stuff but hopefully meet some interesting people that you might not have done otherwise.

Rather than just an ad, how about visiting various car meets, (Goodwood FOS for example,) any number internet car forums, or even dealer showrooms to offer your services? I am sure some owners would be happy to let you photograph their pride and joy, especially FOC!

A copy of your shots on CD, or a print or two would help persuade them I reckon!;)

If you don't ask etc...! Good luck! :)

Edit: Beaten to it by the guys above, but the thought was there! ;-)

I took some shots of a Military Vehicle Rally. Looked em up on the internet and e-mailed them. They were pleased with the shots and want to use some on the website. Just have to take the opportunities as they arise.(y)

Some good fair points. I'm naturally very very shy, which is probably why I've not really got going with any of the most basic ideas yet (i.e. asking!), I have had the opportunity to shoot a few Renaultsports, but that's only really because I own one myself and have met through specific forums.

I like the card idea though, will look into that.

I like the card idea though, will look into that.

Doesn't have to be fancy, just something with your name and number/email on.

Give me a shout if you want to go shoot something sometime. I could probably do with acquiring a little shyness. ;)

You can always go and ask a few dealerships too, find a car you like, plan the locations and time involved in your shoot, make doodles of your idea's, then present the idea to the owners/managers. I tend to offer a thank you in allowing the use of the images for free on their website with credit to yourself. Prints & adverts using your pics should be charged for, but don't mention that bit till after your shoot, lol.

Once they are happy to lend you the car (accompanied or not, stress that your NOT into this for a drive of a exotic toy) all you need then is the weather to play fair according to your plan.

Once you have a collection of pics in various forms and angles, it gives you much more clout when offering services to an individual, ie: this is what I can do.

Has your local paper got a motoring section ? You could always ask what cars they are reporting on in the future then go and shoot some in a local scene, tis better than stock manufacture images, and it will also get your name out there.

Hope it helps.

Kris

Hi,

Maybe worth putting a post up on www.detailingworld.co.uk in the photography section. As it's a detailing forum and not car specific there are lots of different makes and models of car on there and everybody tends to look after thier cars very well and would like nice pictures I'm sure, quite a few members in your area too (y)

Darren

Hi,

Maybe worth putting a post up on www.detailingworld.co.uk in the photography section. As it's a detailing forum and not car specific there are lots of different makes and models of car on there and everybody tends to look after thier cars very well and would like nice pictures I'm sure, quite a few members in your area too

Darren

Blimey just got a bit carried away on that site and actually felt myself getting sucked into this detailing world.....seriously its worth a look...:exit:

Do a search on Google or any search engine for car cruising forums, then join the forums and offer your services, If you are doing it for FOC, they will bite your hand off.

Another good way is talk to the owners/moderators of car forums and offer your services to take pictures of club meeting, agms, rallies, etc you can then sell the photos to members and give a small commission to the site owners/moderators.

or go to car street meeting walk round and just take pictures and leave you business card or a flyer under the wipers of cars you have taken photos off, with your website address and let them purchase the pictures on line.

I'm on loads of different car forums, if you want to know any specific brands or models. It certainly is the best way to get amongst some different machinery and get some snaps of some lovely metal.

People only take it as a compliment if you want to photo their car, some copies wil also sweeten the deal :D

I know on the Focus ST Owners Club forum (www.focusstoc.com) that many of the owners are also into photography too. However, like may others, we have regional sections (I'm responsible for London & the South East) and you may find that your local guy would be interested in you coming to a meet and providing "photographic services" for the owners.

Just be aware that many owners are very possessive about their cars, but likewise they are also keen to get their car photographed too.

Liberalis - That's a cracking idea, and I think I may try that with my local ford dealer as we want some decent photos of the new Facelift ST....

Steve

Blimey just got a bit carried away on that site and actually felt myself getting sucked into this detailing world.....seriously its worth a look...:exit:

That site is my second home and my most expensive hobby :LOL:
Photography seems to be catching up though :nuts:

Darren

Back