How do you keep your bugs still?

Ive been told you can buy dead ones on the internet although ive never looked.

Going out early or late in the day helps as does waiting for just after a shower or dull period. Apart from that it's just patience and perserverence;)

FFS!!!

like others have said early morning is best bet.

i can neither confirm or deny putting a fly and a wasp in the fridge to cool them down and make them docile...about 40 minutes should do it and they're slow and relaxed for about 5-10 minutes after.

Early mornings, baiting, or patience... I tried the fridge technique once but I felt terrible and took it out after 5 mins

A drop of sugar water

Staple gun seems to work ok!! No, seriously, I've tried baiting, sugar water and honey but, one of the best I tried was a strepsil throat sweet. Suck it for a few seconds, rub it on a leaf etc or put it near the target and wait a while. Not sure if it's the active ingrediant or just the stickiness that slows them down but they seem to recover with no ill effects after a short while. And they dont get a sore throat for weeks either.

Some Moth photographers use the fridge method, something ive not tried.

as submitted to the British Natural History Museum for ID
0d794af4.jpg

sorry - couldn't resist...:LOL:...:exit:.

pipe freezing spray,......... kidding :)

a decent diffused flash will capture most insects or you could try hypnotising them.:)

take em home and stick em in the fridge for a while

a FRPS told me that trick, slows em down no end

d in w

Have a fag.

I've tried shooting dragonflies on flowerbeds and found that if there is alot of smoke/CO2.

If you don't smoke (mind you, neither do I but ill do anything for a photograph) the only other thing I can suggest is a fast telezoom lens and a high ISO with wide aperture for extra sweet look.

Early mornings, baiting, or patience... I tried the fridge technique once but I felt terrible and took it out after 5 mins

LOL!!! :LOL: Reminds me that I once rescued a drowning bee from the toilet. :wacky: When I went back, it was back in there again!!

as submitted to the British Natural History Museum for ID
0d794af4.jpg

sorry - couldn't resist...:LOL:...:exit:.

LMAO!!!!

I've always wondered how people have captured such good shots of insects. Fortunatley, I mostly have no morals when it comes to crawling things. I think catching them and placing them dead is the way to go. I don't do cold mornings - or mornings for that matter.

I prefer to get my bugs in their natural environment exhibiting their natural behaviour.
That doesn't mean to say that I do not use some tricks to keep them still. I use the sugar water trick as well, but put it in a spray bottle and spray leaves and other nice photogenic spots. This tends to attract wasps,flies, bees and ants that usually do not sit still for long.

Here is a shot of a wasp that seems to be a similar species to the dead one above. I know which one I prefer :cool:

Small Ichneumon Wasp by jomike, on Flickr

Excellent shot, Jomike.
Joking aside, I do prefer insects in their natural environment.

Microwave.:p:D

Microwave.:p:D

Crispy fried critters! :D

Seriously, another way to approach them is when they are dealing with their basic instincts, namely eating and/or reproduction. They will generally not notice you getting closer when they are busy with these activities.:cool:

Jumping Spider Salticus scenicus by jomike, on Flickr

This gent had sex on the mind when he approached the lady, but ended up as her lunch instead.

Garden Spiders mating by jomike, on Flickr

You won't get shots like these from frozen or dead bugs!

WOW! Jomike, they are amazing! I especially love the first one, the detail on the eyes are brilliant. I love wild captures like this. Definately a case of "I wish I'd take that!"

Those are great shots, Jomike. Sugar water and getting out when it's cooler are great ideas. Do you spray the sugar water only on the leaves or have you tried squirting the subject just a bit in order to slow them down?

I think the best idea is exactly what you suggest, get them while they're distracted by food and reproduction. Plus then you get fantastic action visuals!

Use a pipette and drop a small drop of sugar water on a leaf, then around it put a few minute drops of superglue! :LOL:

Those are great shots, Jomike. Sugar water and getting out when it's cooler are great ideas. Do you spray the sugar water only on the leaves or have you tried squirting the subject just a bit in order to slow them down?

I think the best idea is exactly what you suggest, get them while they're distracted by food and reproduction. Plus then you get fantastic action visuals!

Thanks, the sugar water is only sprayed on leaves or surfaces. If you spray the bug it will not behave naturally and probably try to get away.

Nuke em from orbit, its the only way to be sure

As an aside, why do people say the only thing to survive a nuclear blast would be a cockroach? can't see how if I can squash the rotten bleeders with my boot

Last edited:
Try early morning for butterflies and dragonflies before they get too active.Sunshine and clouds work ok as they settle down when the sun goes in.

Back