How do you make digital look like film ????

Name
richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Well as one gets older and eyesight no longer 20/20 then film and digital start to look the same - particularly if you don’t clean your glasses very often. We have nice big 4k tvs but leave them on SD most of the time - can’t tell the difference.

Seriously though, I haven’t really seen a film sim (sooc or post ) than convinces me.
I thing using old lenses can help like the helios mentioned or sonnars.

I am not a purest and my last go at wet processing was about 5 decades ago and my results them ranged from adequate to dire.

Just as a consumer film user, I am happy shooting the odd c41 roll and getting it processed in a lab and scanning it in at home. The only difference I see from sending off to get prints done in the old days is that the results are far better - they retain all of that film look ( shot on 35mm on contax/ zeiss glass ) without the naff print quality.

No doubt a good photographer can get stunning results from modern film stock - and preferably a medium format film camera.

As an aside, for monochrome ( which I still develop ), I prefer images from my nikon v1 at 800 iso or more. Partly because of the low mpx, the sensor behaviour and the way the noise comes in - it can mimic film,even pushed triX, fairly well.

Last edited:
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Mr Badger has really good thoughts and his analogy (vegan food vs. top-quality bacon) makes perfect sense. You can use various effects or grainy photo filters but they won't make your digital look like you want them to. You can't fully replace sugar with sweeteners and claim that's the same because it's not.
It's the wrong analogy IMO.

IMO more apt would be how do I make my modern reliable hatchback more like the tatty old rattling heap grandad owned and spent his evenings and weekend fettling with grease and ironmongering tools.

I do understand why people see digital as sterile but I think that's the wrong word, clinical may be more accurate but with enough investment in processing power and time you can perhaps get digital to look something like film with grain and scratches and hairs and vignetting and off colours and soft corners and splodges and busy bokeh and everything else just as you could loosen a few nuts and bolts and get that reliable hatchback to break down twice a day and handle like a drunken cow being Tazered but you'll perhaps have real problems getting film to look as consistent and accurate as digital just as you'll face real problems getting that 1950's nightmare rust bucket to handle as well and be as reliable as a modern car.

I'd start with the free version of Nik filters.

OP
BADGER.BRAD
Name
Brad
Edit My Images
Yes
more apt would be how do I make my modern reliable hatchback more like the tatty old rattling heap grandad owned and spent his evenings and weekend fettling with grease and ironmongering tools.
you could loosen a few nuts and bolts and get that reliable hatchback to break down twice a day and handle like a drunken cow being Tazered
You have just described my 20 year old £200 banger to a tee ! The only thing is it's a £200 banger to go and spend £15,000 and then convert it to a banger would be some what more expensive to achieve and would take more effort ! :):):)

Last edited: