How do you pronounce Nikon

• Nick-on

Votes: 111 91.0%
  • Nike-on

Votes: 11 9.0%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
Yes
Been meaning to ask this as I've always said it as Nick-on but I've heard others say Nike-on (saying Nike like Mike) :shrug:

My American friends pronounce Nike-on and the rest of the world Nick-on

Myself I've always pronounced it as 'Nick-on'. But I've heard it pronounced as 'Nike-on' and even 'Nee-kon'.

AFAIK the Japanese pronunciation is Nick-on. It's only the Americans that use Nike-on.

You say po tay toe and I say po ta toe!!!!

I pronounce it 'Nick-on', but Americans seem to say 'Nike-on'. Not sure about the rest of the World though. :shrug:
The Japanese say Nee-con (and your 'Nick-on' is close enough). So that is what is is.

(Also it's Toy-she-ba for Toshiba and Mat-zoo-da for Mazda but never mind)

I'm English so it's Nick-on ...... in an east london accent .... ?

I used to always say Nike-on until i found it was an american pronunciation so trained myself to say Nick-on.
On this one occasion i think the americans have it right - there's no 'C' god dammit! :LOL:

It's a Japanese company - they say Nee-kon. We're pretty close. Americans are dumb :D

Mamiya is another - I've heard it as 'Mam-ee-ya' and as 'Mam-i-ya' with the 'i' pronounced as 'eye'.

I used to always say Nike-on until i found it was an american pronunciation so trained myself to say Nick-on.
On this one occasion i think the americans have it right - there's no 'C' god dammit! :LOL:

neither is there an 'E' ..... so its our language we English are right ..... :woot:

God damn Amerikans, with their zees and their dropping of Us - they can't even spell colour properly :wacky:

i don't bother worrying, I just say CANON and have it over with...

:canon:

:coat:

actually, I read somewhere that canon used to be pronounced "kwa-non" in japan. dunno if its true though!

As a Canon user... I've never found the pronunciation of Nikon a problem :D

Nice cameras though... :)

cheers

:canon:

:coat:

actually, I read somewhere that canon used to be pronounced "kwa-non" in japan. dunno if its true though!

well maybe you'l be scratching your heads when hear an american pronounce it kay-non :puke:

yeeeh i got a kay-narn....e-aarse

In my time working at a camera shop I've heard odd pronunciations for most brands, and I remember a foreign customer (couldn't be sure where he came from) asking for a 'Cay-non' rather than Canon.

and I remember a foreign customer (couldn't be sure where he came from) asking for a 'Cay-non' rather than Canon.

Tsk tsk! These foreigners, everyone knows Canon is pronounced 'Bro-ken' as in Oh 'no not again!' :LOL:

As a helper with in a Infants school and saying it phonetically it is N i k o n

Who cares.............:shrug:

I've always pronounced it Nee-kon - maybe I've got some Japanese in me!

So I can't vote as that option isn't there!

Not quite. It's Can-on in Japan too.

But Canon Inc used to be called 'Precision Optical Instruments Laboratory' and their first camera was the 'Kwanon' (named after a Buddhist deity IIRC).

Back