How do you retain the colour in one part of a photo only?

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have someone who wants to have their tattoos photographed. I would like to take [or end up with] a B&W portrait but have the tattoo in its original colour. How can I do it please?

Dunc

Open up your image in photoshop, then on the top menu bar go to image, then go to adjustments, then go down to hue/saturation and click on that, then go to the middle saturation slider and drag it all the way to the left till the image changes to black and white, then go to the main tool menu bar on the left of the screen, then go to the history brush, which is the tenth tool down, then just brush over the bits you want to come back to colour and Walla your there, BUT if you want to be very precise you will need to zoom into your image, and adjust the size of your brush, which you will do by going up to the top menu bar again, and just underneath were it says edit and image you will find a little arrow, click on that and the brush size slider will appear, then adjust your brush size to what you want, and again brush over the parts of your image you want to bring the colour back too :)

Alternatively in photoshop open your image. make a copy. Desaturate the copy. Add a layer mask to the copy layer. Then using the brush tool at whatever size you choose use slecetd colour black to paint in the colour. If you make a mistake on the edges switch to pant with white to make it balck and white again. Loads of different ways but I`ve found it easier doing it this way.

The way i do it is (photoshop CS3).
Open the image you want, make a duplicate, set the top layer to black and white - IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>BLACK AND WHITE, then what to do is use either the Eraser or Quick selection tool and just delete the section in your case select the tattoos and delete (i prefer Quick selection tool), and then you'll have the colour of the tattoos coming though.

Hope this helps/makes sence. Also there are lots of youtube videos on tutorials on how to do things with photoshop.

Jen :)

Back