how do you store and organize your images

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
ive been going through my hdd and found i seem to have 5 of everything scattered all over..it got me thinking, how does everyone else keep their images?

funny u should mention that,
last week when i was ill i sorted out all my pix,
they are all now sorted into folders in my pictures,

i to had multiples of images,
i think the secret is to ' move ' the image and not to ' copy ' it :roll:

MyPix 8)

I try and burn everything to disk as soon as they arrive on my hdd.
Then anything thats going to stay for a while on there, gets sorted into folders within the my pix folder.

When I transfer to HD from the camera the images are all put in a directory named with the day/month/year. I do a backup to dvd once a calendar month, keep those images on the HD for a month and then delete them when I do the next backup so I have max 3 months images on the hard drive at any one time. Since I shoot raw all the time now I backup only the raw images and any 'keepers', 16bit tiffs at 36mb a time soon mount up.

8.6Gb on my HD all organised by year and then each folder is dated for the day the pictures were taken.

I make a folder for each of my shoots and name it accordingly, in that folder I store all my original files and create a second folder called “edits” in this I store the worked on full resolution keepers in PSD format with any adjustment layers that I created. Finally I create another folder called “web” in which I store reduced size final images with borders and my name on which I can use for emailing to friends or for display on the web.

Back up is easy as I just make a new disc with the main folder copied to it which keeps everything simple and easy to track. Only problem is that I don’t back up as much as I should. :shock:

I can recommend ViceVersa backup software - see www.tgrmn.com/index.htm

You can set up routines to compare folders on two different drives, or two parts of the same drive, and update the target. I use one external drive to store music and photo files, and another as a backup. Running ViceVersa will quickly and simply compare the two and copy any updates to the backup drive. :)

I do the following :
E: is my Data drive (120 gig)

E:\Photography\[Year]\[mm.dd title]\
eg
E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\

Contains

E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\RAW\CRW_0059.CRW
E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\RAW\CRW_0060.CRW
E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\RAW\CRW_0061.CRW
E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\RAW\CRW_0062.CRW

E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\Working\050202_0061b.jpg
E:\Photography\05\02.02 trip to the park\Working\050202_0061b_600.jpg

So it's divided by year, then by shoot/day
In that folder I have the original RAW folder (if applicable), with the undedited files. Unedited apart from some of them rotated by breezebrowser.
Also a Working folder.
In there I name the file [yymmdd_filenumber.jpg]
The filenumber is the original file number (as given by the camera) that it came from. I place a b after it, if a border has been added, and also a _600 if it is a 600 pixel version.

The filename convention is new for me, but I'm finding it to be working quite well. I can pinpoint all my files and where they have come from, shoot, date, and original file, should the edited one get corrupted or cocked up ;)

I should backup more onto DVD but being my usual procrastinating self, I dont.

i have a few image sorting programs, i may try one, i have adobe stuff too, thats normally pretty good...

interesting replies guys, thanks

I just have a folder where I dump them.. in subfolders with categories. When I get 700Mb worth, they're burned to CDs and archived. I also have an external hard drive that backs up the entire machine. Once a year or so, I'll check the integrity of as many of the CDs as I can, and any that show any corruption, are cpied to new media ASAP. All CDs are in archival quality wallets, and kept in the dark. Most of my stuff is shot on film however, and scanned, and a a decent scan from a 6x7 neg is close to 100Mb.

Lots of CDs... time to buy a DVD writer I think... I'm surprised it's taken me this long actually.

Pook said:
Lots of CDs... time to buy a DVD writer I think... I'm surprised it's taken me this long actually.
Agreed, but I'm still nervous about putting so many eggs in one basket. :) Mind you, we were saying the same thing about 3.5" diskettes and CDs at one time. :wink:

I've just started archiving all my work using Fotostation Pro 5 - takes a bit of time to get used to, but if you use Photoshop CS then it's a doddle as it integrates nicely with keywords and File Info.
You can even use it to archive 'offline' images - the program stores a thumbnail of the image and prompts you to insert the CD No: ****. The only thing you must do is ensure all of your CDs/DVDs have unique names/numbers.

Here's my organised archive :p

http://www.fixit-4u.net/mrk/root/temp/organized.png

Link broken due to the image size being outside our guidelines..please take a minute to read the rules or look at the numerous polite notices posted around the forums.
Thanks
Steve.

yeah thats quite organized isnt it!

Steve said:
I make a folder for each of my shoots and name it accordingly, in that folder I store all my original files and create a second folder called “edits” in this I store the worked on full resolution keepers in PSD format with any adjustment layers that I created. Finally I create another folder called “web” in which I store reduced size final images with borders and my name on which I can use for emailing to friends or for display on the web.

I do the exact same thing :shock:. Scary stuff...

Kimmett

Back