How do you use LRC and LR ?

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Starting to realise that I am becoming a bit of a dinosaur as far as LRC and LR are concerned ! How do you use the two of these or is it better to just use one or the other ?

I have never used LR on my iPad before but on my last holiday i tried it and was surprised how good the app was - i suddenly thought wouldn't it be good to to some editing whilst I am away and then come back to the edited versions on my iMac !

But obviously it doesn't look that simple - I tried to migrate all my photos from LRC to LR (why do they make it so complicated?) but was quickly informed that my 20gb storage wouldn't go far !

I don't want to pay more and I'm not sure I want to switch to the LR plan with 1TB of storage,

So what are my options ? Apologies if this is very basic stuff and I'm being a bit or a lot thick !

There is a thread somewhere dealing with this, but I can’t seem to find it at the moment. I followed it and found it very helpful, I now use the cloud to sync between lr on iMac and ipad
its all to do with collections on iMac and albums on ipad

Last edited:
If you store your catalogue on a cloud storage device eg iCloud (I pay £0.79 a month for 50Gb), then you could use LRC on both devices more easily? Just a thought, I'm not that strong on these things.

Hello @justa1972

I prefer my own photographs should be on my own computer and not on the cloud, therefore I prefer Lightroom Classic.

LR is really like it's suitable for people who prefer their own photographs should be on the cloud, not on their computers.

LRC is more suited for desktop computers, while LR apps is more suited for portable devices like iPad, iPhone, and similar tablets and smartphones.

I use LRC on my laptop, with a few collections synced to the cloud and thus to LR on my phone, from where I share images.

I'm with Major Eazy, I want all my images on my hardware. I use a Synology NAS that has WiFi so I can access all of my images for any device with an Internet connection anywhere in the world. Aside from that I've never seen the need to have files in the LR Cloud.

When travelling I use a Windows laptop with LRC installed and create a catalogue for that trip. If I have time I do edits during the trip and then import the travel catalogue and images into my main catalogue on my desktop PC when I get back home.

I tried the non classic version a few years ago like you on holiday. Found them to be 2 completely independent programs and it was such a faf to integrate the lightroom stuff into my classic folder structure and such a faf to set up a decent structure on the mobile/non classic version I just went back to classic. It’s also dependent on you having an internet connection which is either not always possible or adds another layer to the things that could go wrong list. Plus the 20gb thing… a 32gb card of 50mp raws fills up pretty quickly and then your out of space…

When travelling I use a Windows laptop with LRC installed and create a catalogue for that trip. If I have time I do edits during the trip and then import the travel catalogue and images into my main catalogue on my desktop PC when I get back home.
I also used a similar set up when I had a desktop as my main machine and a laptop for travelling, but switching to a better laptop for everything has made life a bit easier.

I have a Photography 20Gb plan subscription, but I find I use Classic by choice for the same reasons as above, and store my images and catalogue in iCloud for convenient access, backed up to a couple of local external disks.

I use LRc on my MacBook mostly and just use LR (mobile/cloud/whatever) on my iPad Pro for an extra storage point for my completed and exported to jpeg images so I have access to them whenever and wherever I may want that access.

I will also have the iPad with me when away and I will look over any pictures I have taken on there and if I fancy doing a quick edit or just play around I’ll do it in LR and put the images in a folder I have set to sync with LRc so I can carry on at home if I want. TBH though the use case tends to be more a quick edit for the wife and her socials or to send family.

I only have the photography plan with both versions and photoshop to get access to LRc (I don’t use PS) but tbh I reckon once/if the new AI Enhance/De-noise makes its way to LR (non c) I could switch totally away from LRc personally although I’d probably want to upgrade my iPad Pro to the 12.9” version and then switch plan to the higher storage but non LRc/PS one.
I would continue to back up elsewhere too as I do now.

I‘ll add I do all this for fun and not in anyway professionally or commercially so my needs are simple really and in reality both work to my needs I just ended up favouring LRc as when getting started all the tutorials etc where using LRc so ‘made sense’ to me to have the same.

Back