How does a Metz hammerhead flash compare to a 580ex?

Edit My Images
Yes
I own a 580EX 11 Canon flash but have been using the Metz 45CL-1 at college and just wondered if the Metz are better. Has anyone tried the Metz?

???? ..... Hammerhead ....... ????? Where :exit:

Sorry your question is beyond my ken .... i'm sure an expert will be along shortly. (y)

i would say yes and no

i use canon 550 ex and also a metz45cl4 (same as cl1 but with fill in flash as well) both have + points if you want a simple to use point and shoot flash that you may use in the pouring rain - then go for the canon.

if you are happy with having more control then go for the metz

but

with the canon it is small and light but it makes too many decisions for you sometimes, and ETTL is ok - it gets the light right - but it is also in-consistent - take 5 shots in a row and they will all be ok and usable shots but the light will be different in each shot. with the metz all the shots will be the same as each other but it is a big flash...
with the canon when you hold the camera vertical the flash is in a really bad place (to the left of the camera) with the metz you can swap the bracket around so it is above the camera (on the same side as the shutter)where it needs to be

the manual dial on the metz is much more intuitive then the canon if shooting manual flash or even semi auto.

which is better? not sure that's why i use both...

Thats makes sense. If i bought a 45CL 4 Digital Metz flash would i still be able to use it on the odd occassion with my Pentax K1000 film camera?

It would be perfect.

What is DIGITAL flash anyway....do you get 0s and 1s of light coming out of it...or is it just marketing speak to make something sound more up to date.

The Metz are really solid and will last for years. The beauty is using them is SO SIMPLE. Set your camera for an exposure you want....say f8 @ 1/125.....for fill in with the Metz, simply set the aperture ring on the top to f5.6. Job done, you will have lovely balanced fill flash. If that is toomuch, just tweak it downa tad. OR even put a handkerchief over the front with arubber band - that will act like a softbox and give you MUCH softer light. Soi easy =- the way it was done for years - and still works.

You want to pop a subject against the background. Set camera for about 1 stop under exposure and the flash for "correct" exposure. So our f8 @ 1/125example above with the flash set to f5.6 (to provide LESS light) becomes 1/250 @ f8 and the flash set to f8 (or variations on the theme - the relationship stands scrutiny, it is just the numbers that will change.)

both the canon and metz can be used with any camera with the right connections - i use the metz with a sync socket on the canon 1d - that should work with the pentax - if not then the metz would work with a hotshoe to sync adaptor.

the canon may not work on auto (ettl ttl) on the pentax but should fire in manual mode.

Back