How does wireless flash work?

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Probably a silly question but.....

I've recently bought the SB600 Nikon speedlight, which works a treat, but I cant work out how to set it to work wirelessly.

Do I need to buy something else or does it all work from the camera? I've got a D40x and a D70.

Thanks (y)

Andy

On the D40x, most likely you'd need the Nikon SU-800 speedlight commander. I can't recall if you'd also need this for the D70 (it may have a built-in commander to trigger the SB600 .. may be with the use of the internal flash).

The D70 will work in commander mode however I think the D40 does not have a commander mode.

Have a look at the D70 manual and it will explain how to set of the flash and camera for commander mode.

The flash will still fire on camera but it is just signaling the remote flash to fire.

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks guys, guess I'll have to resort to reading the manual. God I hate Nikon manuals.

Andy

Cheers guys that link is very useful.

Andy

daftbugga,

That's a very nice link there, thanks for posting it (y)

Andy, have you thought abour buying Cactus triggers, I have a SB600 and plan on getting another the V2s tigger nicely and I had had no issues

not sure if you have found out yet or not.

but with the CLS system its pretty easy to set up.

Go into Cameras Menu

(e) Bracketing/Flash section
(e3) Built-In Flash > Commander Mode > and set the Built-in section to read -- group A & B should be set to M and have it set to channel 1.

Thats the camera set up.

For your flash, go into the main menu by holding the middle button down for a few secs, then select the remote / master icon from the menu. Make sure you highlight remote. Exit the menu, should take you back to the flashes LCD screen. The flash is now set up as a remote, make sure its sitting on channel 1. And bobs ya uncle! you have done it.

You can control the power of the flash from inside the camera by going back to (e3) and setting the power there. Make sure the flash pop up on your camera is up, the flash will go off but it wont produce light. Once your remote flash picks up the light from the camera it will go off.

hope it helps.

easy as 1 2 3

PS: as for wireless triggers, nothing beats pocket wizards, i know i know they're costly. But they wipe the floor with anything else, wireless triggers up to 1600ft thats useful in its self.

You need to set the onboard flash to '--' otherwise it will affect the shot. When its set to '--' it just sends out the pre flash information to trigger the remote flash.

I would recommend cactus triggers though, because I found it VERY anoying trying to get the SB-800 (remote) to pickup the signal from the onboard flash. Its fine indoors, but outside on location shoots its a pain in the rear end

If you're unsure about using wireless triggers, I just picked up a set on eBay, from a UK seller for a tenner-ish. From my initial playing about with them, they're brilliant for the money!

Redeathdrinker, have ordered some cheapo triggers of ebay too. Going through the final few minutes of some ebay auctions for some older Nikon SB flashes to accompany my SB800 so hopefully, this time next week I'll be doing wireless shoots!! :)

Can't wait....

Back