Beginner How far from subject....

Name
Eshan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

As the title suggests, Is there a rule or guideline on how far from the subject you should be when using prime lenses? Say 50, 85, 135, 200mm

I am talking in relation to portrait photography, both head and shoulders plus half/full body shots.

Thanks

If there is I’m not aware of it...just whatever works compositionally while making the subject look as good as possible

No rule, but as a guide you need to be aware of distortion to features using, say, a 50mm lens. However with a 200mm lens you're going to be a very long way from the subject for a full body shot if you plan meaningful interaction.

The issue is the 'perspective distortion' which is created not by focal length but by subject distance.
And the reverse of that challenge is if you're shooting indoors you're often limited in space.

Of course focal length is camera dependent too - there's no point taking numbers if we don't know the size of your sensor.

ie for head and shoulders:
50mm will be great on M4/3, not quite long enough on Nikon or Canon crop - no good on FF and it's a wide angle lens on medium format.
85mm is really long on M4/3, an outdoor lens on crop, and a great H&S indoor portrait lens on FF - still just a std lens on med format.

So my 'go to' 85mm is a long portrait lens on Canon crop (approx. 136mm equivalent) and a useful indoor portrait lens on my Canon FF cameras. Add to that it's a bargain

You learn with experience what you like - there is personal taste involved too. Many people use a 50mm on a crop camera and think the results are great - but I find it an utterly horrible combo.

Last edited:
Distance will also be dependant on the size of your subject, are we talking 6'8" rugby player or 19" long newborn baby

The issue is the 'perspective distortion' which is created not by focal length but by subject distance.
And the reverse of that challenge is if you're shooting indoors you're often limited in space.

Of course focal length is camera dependent too - there's no point taking numbers if we don't know the size of your sensor.

ie for head and shoulders:
50mm will be great on M4/3, not quite long enough on Nikon or Canon crop - no good on FF and it's a wide angle lens on medium format.
85mm is really long on M4/3, an outdoor lens on crop, and a great H&S indoor portrait lens on FF - still just a std lens on med format.

So my 'go to' 85mm is a long portrait lens on Canon crop (approx. 136mm equivalent) and a useful indoor portrait lens on my Canon FF cameras. Add to that it's a bargain

You learn with experience what you like - there is personal taste involved too. Many people use a 50mm on a crop camera and think the results are great - but I find it an utterly horrible combo.

My camera gear is a Sony A7ii with a Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 lens. I'll be mainly practising indoors, room size approx 13ft X 11ft

So given that the ideal lens should be 85mm or upwards, i'll be using mine at 70mm. I understand that the closer I am to the subject, the tighter the composition.

Maybe what I am really asking is there a point when you are too close? Or is that not really the case?

From Google I read that for a 85mm lens ideally you should be approx 2.5ft away

Maybe what I am really asking is there a point when you are too close? Or is that not really the case?

From Google I read that for a 85mm lens ideally you should be approx 2.5ft away
Your question is upside down, you don't measure a point from your subject, raise your camera then check the view*. It's more organic that that, you choose to frame your view, you don't choose your viewpoint arbitrarily.
The problem with your 70mm is that if you move in close to get a tight headshot, you'll find your close enough for:
a, the subject to feel uncomfortable - how would you feel with a camera bearing down on you from 2ft away
b, the subject to look less 'attractive' due to perspective distortion.

For both counts the simple answer is to stand further back and crop the image tighter after taking it.

*Though the fact you've asked the question the way you have makes me feel that you're heading into a portrait shoot with the wrong mindset.
Successful portraits aren't made at 2.5ft 85mm and f1.8 at 1/200sec; they're made when the subject feels comfortable and engaged. The primary concern in all photography is your relationship with the subject, but never more so than with portraits.

Is there a rule or guideline on how far from the subject you should be when using prime lenses? Say 50, 85, 135, 200mm
According to your question, there can't be any rule! Any given focal length plus how much of the subject you want to include preclude any third option (if you want to keep the full frame content).

There's no ideal focal length - successful portraits have been made with wide angle lenses! It all has to relate to the intention, the feel and how it comes over. For instance, are you looking for dignity, fun, absurdity, neutrality ...?

Explore by doing. Forget about rules. Loosen up. Vary your approach. Don't get stuck. See what happens.

*Though the fact you've asked the question the way you have makes me feel that you're heading into a portrait shoot with the wrong mindset.
Successful portraits aren't made at 2.5ft 85mm and f1.8 at 1/200sec; they're made when the subject feels comfortable and engaged. The primary concern in all photography is your relationship with the subject, but never more so than with portraits.

Portraiture is something I want to get into and whilst waiting for my flash and stuff to arrive, have been reading different articles on the net.

Think I'm reading too much into it for no reason, it's time to shoot more and read less.

If you want reading, read up about composition and colours not camera and lens technicalities. Also look at photographs and photobooks and study the photos carefully, work out what makes the photos you like likeable.

Back