How I steady a camera handheld

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok this is what I now use which for me helps stop camera shake when doing video work. May seem a silly idea but it works for me. Ok not dead steady but far better than conventional two hands on the camera

kGYM359.jpg

I find having the handle on the bottom of the camera gives me more control when using a DSLR camera hand held. For the little that handle costs I think it is worth anyone having a punt

Last edited:
If you get the simple one button remote and use elastic bands to fix it to the handle it is easier to start/stop the video.
I fix my remote to the handle on the fluid head of the tripod. I can compose and shoot without moving hand position, a lot more natural.

Tony
I have set up my Nikon D810 so the shutter button does both stills and video. Also altered the functions of some of the other buttons as well to make the camera easier for me at least

Last edited:
the easiest way i have found to steady a camera for video is to keep the camera strap around your neck taught which works for me

i have one of the pistol grips somewhere and have made use of it on some occasions but i find it works ok with smaller bodies and lenses but once i tried with 1d type bodies and larger lenses everything was unsteady and out of balance
when i first started using a pistol grip i thought it might be the answer to one handed photography i even fitted a shutter button into the handle which worked with the cameras at the time ( canon 300d - 350d - 450d ) and it worked sort of until i used a 200mm or similar sized lens it just became awkward and was easier to hold the camera without it
i tried a similar idea with a monopod for steadying a camera but got nowhere with that :(

Back