How important is Canon IS?

Edit My Images
Yes
As title suggets, is the stabiliser built into the newer kit lens 18-55 a worthwhile upgrade or is IS only good for longer zooms?

Cheers

For me the IS has never solved problems in low light at shorter focal lengths but that's because my shots normally have something that is or might move in them. I've used it once or twice for effect where I wanted to show movement but other than that the struggle is always for more light not longer exposures.

for short focal lengths i wouldn't bother up grading TBH, i do like it for hand held stuff mostly because i suffer from camera shake a lot hand holding.

IS/VR (Nikon) on sub-100mm lenses, is, imho, just a marketing gimmick. The only reason Canon, and now Nikon, have introduced it is because Sony have it.

Not worth the extra dosh if you ask me. Spend it on a monopod.

When your handsX stricke that ...body shakes like mine it is very hekp full.

regards Mark.

I have the EF-S 17 - 85 IS and find the IS invaluable. Allows slower shutter speeds, and I have shakey hands.

For me IS is certainly worth every penny, as I suffer from shaky hands so it allows me to still take great (well, I think some of them are) photos without allows being forced to use my monopod/tripod, which I am forced to do when I use my Canon 100mm macro as otherwise I am unable to get a decent photo.

Personally I now wouldn't even consider buying a lens without it.

IS is worth it. u try and shoot handheld without IS at 400mm with a shutter speed of less than 1/400

As title suggets, is the stabiliser built into the newer kit lens 18-55 a worthwhile upgrade or is IS only good for longer zooms?
I can't answer whether IS is worthwhile on the 18-55, but reviews suggest that the IS version is a better lens.
It was my only lens for 4 months, so I had nothing to compare it with, but I have always been chuffed with the results I got.
Have a look around for a 2nd hand one, if you don't want to shell out for a new one.

IS/VR (Nikon) on sub-100mm lenses, is, imho, just a marketing gimmick. The only reason Canon, and now Nikon, have introduced it is because Sony have it.

The only time ive ever found it to be a use is shooting landscape close to dusk

ive had 1/2 second exposures sharp at 18mm using VR.

If you can be arsed getting your tripod out then there really is no need for it though.:LOL:

IS is worth it. u try and shoot handheld without IS at 400mm with a shutter speed of less than 1/400

Hi correct but when panning canon recommend that IS is turned off and the len's is set in mode 2 (100-400mm)<<<refering to that len's.

Regards Mark.

Thats wierd, the VR's fron nikon detect when you are panning.

in simple terms :LOL:Every Canon SLR lens that has an Image Stabilizer built in has two so-called "gyro sensors" oriented at right angles to each other. With this design, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation. When the camera is in portrait orientation, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the hand grip of the camera is on the top or the bottom.

In all of these cases, IS lenses that have a Mode 2 setting operate as follows when Mode 2 is selected: Both gyro sensors sample the direction and amplitude of lens shake simultaneously and continuously whenever the IS system is activated. The resulting data is analyzed by a dedicated microcomputer in the lens, and that microcomputer in turn controls the behavior of the electromagnets surrounding the movable optical components of the IS lens. These electromagnets are also oriented at right angles to each other. If the lens is set to Mode 2 *and* the microcomputer determines that intentional panning is taking place, it shuts off stabilization in the panning direction regardless of camera orientation. If, on the other hand, the microcomputer does not detect intentional panning, then horizontal and vertical stabilization is executed simultaneously, just as it is in Mode 1.

by turning off your IS you are determining your shots thus making you think about setting rather than just relying on the Len's

Regards Mark.

in simple terms :LOL:Every Canon SLR lens that has an Image Stabilizer built in has two so-called "gyro sensors" oriented at right angles to each other. With this design, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the camera is in landscape or portrait orientation. When the camera is in portrait orientation, the level of IS functionality is the same whether the hand grip of the camera is on the top or the bottom.

In all of these cases, IS lenses that have a Mode 2 setting operate as follows when Mode 2 is selected: Both gyro sensors sample the direction and amplitude of lens shake simultaneously and continuously whenever the IS system is activated. The resulting data is analyzed by a dedicated microcomputer in the lens, and that microcomputer in turn controls the behavior of the electromagnets surrounding the movable optical components of the IS lens. These electromagnets are also oriented at right angles to each other. If the lens is set to Mode 2 *and* the microcomputer determines that intentional panning is taking place, it shuts off stabilization in the panning direction regardless of camera orientation. If, on the other hand, the microcomputer does not detect intentional panning, then horizontal and vertical stabilization is executed simultaneously, just as it is in Mode 1.

by turning off your IS you are determining your shots thus making you think about setting rather than just relying on the Len's

Regards Mark.

A bit too simplistic for me, could you provide a more indepth explanation? :LOL:

Yes i did skirt round the edges a bit there, if only i could take photographs as good as i explained that. bavid daily move over :LOL:

just that explanation on it's own makes you appreciate the cost involved in these Len's

Regards Mark.

Back