How is Netflix delivered?

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
So from my other post....I'm going to have a pretty fast but limited broadband connection - if I use more than 100GB a month t will cost me a lot.

I have Netflix which normally I view over broadband on the telly. I noticed that Sky and Freesat both list Netflix as an option. Is this still Netflix via the internet? Or do they beam it to your satellite dish for you? Same question for iPlayer :)

They are all internet services. Most broadband options include unlimited data, and something like 60gb/s is lots more than enough to play two 4k videos at once.

They are all internet services. Most broadband options include unlimited data, and something like 60gb/s is lots more than enough to play two 4k videos at once.

Thanks. That's what I figured. It's not the speed that's an issue - it's the volume.

Companies like Netflix do use quite a compressed stream though.
when you het 1080p and 4k delivered by them the high compression is not the same as say blue ray.
for instance a 4k blu ray film would be more like 12-15gb for each hour of footage at the very least.
Netflix compress the stream

You can customize the quality of the stream.

Netflix offers four data usage settings to choose from:
  • Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device
  • Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device
  • High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD
  • Auto - Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current internet connection speed

So:
Low = 333 hrs approx
Med = 142 hrs approx
High = 33 hrs approx (HD), 14 hrs Ultra HD

Last edited:
You can customize the quality of the stream.

Netflix offers four data usage settings to choose from:
  • Low - 0.3 GB per hour per device
  • Medium - SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device
  • High - Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD
  • Auto - Adjusts automatically to deliver the highest possible quality, based on your current internet connection speed

So:
Low = 333 hrs approx
Med = 142 hrs approx
High = 33 hrs approx (HD), 14 hrs Ultra HD

But....it's always delivered by internet? I mean beaming it by satellite doesn't make sense so it looks like (e.g.) Sky's offering on Netflix is essentially another interface to the service, right?

But....it's always delivered by internet? I mean beaming it by satellite doesn't make sense so it looks like (e.g.) Sky's offering on Netflix is essentially another interface to the service, right?

Any service offering movies on demand will be streaming - I don't think the tech exists that would allow satellites to do that yet.

So from my other post....I'm going to have a pretty fast but limited broadband connection - if I use more than 100GB a month t will cost me a lot.

I have Netflix which normally I view over broadband on the telly. I noticed that Sky and Freesat both list Netflix as an option. Is this still Netflix via the internet? Or do they beam it to your satellite dish for you? Same question for iPlayer :)
Why are you having limited download quota ????? most providers have the option of unlimited for only a couple of quid more than restricted!
I only pay Sky £25 per month for totally unlimited and that includes line rental.

Why are you having limited download quota ????? most providers have the option of unlimited for only a couple of quid more than restricted!
I only pay Sky £25 per month for totally unlimited and that includes line rental.
You need to read his previous thread, no fibre at his new house so has opted for a wireless router on a 4g network with a 100gb limit before it gets ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
You need to read his previous thread, no fibre at his new house so has opted for a wireless router on a 4g network with a 100gb limit before it gets ridiculously expensive.
missed the previous thread bit :(

I was confused by this as well for a while - it's simply an app which allows you to log into Netflix over the internet, much the same way as a Fire Stick or whatever. It's always over the internet, even if it's an app on your TV.

For what it's worth the built in TV versions of the app that I've used have been horribly slow so we just use a Fire Stick and a NowTV stick to watch netflix.

A lot of the smart TV apps are rubbish also the processors in the TV is often pretty dire. Bolt on boxes running Android are the best bet for compatibility. I have an nvidia shield it cost a bit about 130 quid but it just rocks. It's fast as greased goose and also has enough oomph to do h265 processing which is what you really need for 4k streaming .

Back