How is this photo done?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm guessing the colours are done by using some kind of grad in photoshop.

For the different colours of the stars in the trail pic, the stars themselves are different colours.

Some are white, some are blue and some are red/orange.

Betelgeuse in Orion, is an orange star (it is classed as a Red Supergiant), Rigel also in Orion, looks blue.

Of course, the more light-polluted your sky, the less the colours of the stars can be picked out.

The two I mention are two of the brightest stars in the sky, so probably the most easy to see that they are not white - Betelgeuse especially.

Last edited:
For the different colours of the stars in the trail pic, the stars themselves are different colours.

Betelgeuse in Orion, is an orange star (it is classed as a Red Supergiant), Rigel also in Orion, looks blue.

Of course, the more light-polluted your sky, the less the colours of the stars can be picked out.

The two I mention are two of the brightest stars in the sky, so probably the most easy to see that they are not white - Betelgeuse especially.

Thanks for this, do you think there is heavy saturation involved as well?

It's a blend of static image(s) for foreground & milky way combined with a zoom burst of the same starscape.

Thanks for this, do you think there is heavy saturation involved as well?

On a scale of 1-5, I think we're well into double figures.

So really it just depends on what section of sky you are looking at, and I take it that these coloured stars aren't able to be viewed from the UK at all?

How long and in which direction do you think this zoom burst would of been?

It's a blend of static image(s) for foreground & milky way combined with a zoom burst of the same starscape.

On a scale of 1-5, I think we're well into double figures.
How

So really it just depends on what section of sky you are looking at, and I take it that these coloured stars aren't able to be viewed from the UK at all?

Orion is definitely visible from the UK. And the brighter stars definitely show different colours. The Moon is probably going to interfere over the next few nights, but check it out for yourself once it gets out of the way.

I think 15 hours is slightly too dedicated for me :) maybe if it was a full time job that would be different.

How long and in which direction do you think this zoom burst would of been?

How

I'd have thought he'd frame the image wide to make sure the milky way was composed how he wants, then zoom in.

Photoshop. Layers from one single image. Rotating each layer by one degree.
There are a few tutorial videos on YouTube. Search vortex star trails.

Many people photoshop these vortex star trails, I'm not sure Lincoln is one of them. Sure I've read that he's developed various motorised tools to allow him to automate the zoom over an extended period. That said, there's clearly photoshop involved in the final image to layer the final trails over a single foreground.

Back