How is this possible?

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
My new netbook just connected to IRC. I thought it was off and it was off. I had closed the lid which suspends it to the HD so if the battery is removed its still suspended. Yet it had connected to IRC in this state. I took the battery out, still connected. Put it back in and turned it on where by it resumed from suspended state, let me login and there was all the text while it had been connected without power. It connected to irc not a bouncer. Its a brand new install of windows 7 and nnscript for mirc. No bouncer that I'm aware of. It properly connected to irc at 4:37pm.

[16:37] -Q- Warning: cykbook (~nnscript@78-105-168-15.zone3.bethere.co.uk) authed with your password.
[16:37] * cykbook (~nnscript@cyKey.users.quakenet.org) has joined #talkphotography
[16:37] * Q gives channel operator status to cykbook
[16:37] <cyk:> eh
[16:37] <cyk:> i thought that was turned off
[16:37] <cyk:> it is
[16:38] <cyk:> wtf
[16:38] * [cykbook] (~nnscript@cyKey.users.quakenet.org): cyk
[16:38] * [cykbook] @#talkphotography
[16:38] * [cykbook] *.quakenet.org :QuakeNet IRC Server
[16:38] * [cykbook] is authed as cyKey
[16:38] * [cykbook] End of WHOIS list.
[16:38] * [cyk] (~cyk@cyKey.users.quakenet.org): cyk
[16:38] * [cyk] @#talkphotography
[16:38] * [cyk] blueyonder2.uk.quakenet.org :blueyonder QuakeNet IRC Server
[16:38] * [cyk] is authed as cyKey
[16:38] * [cyk] idle 00:00:20, signon: Sun Feb 1 16:00:01
[16:38] * [cyk] End of WHOIS list.
[16:40] <alexisonfire:> lol
[16:40] <alexisonfire:> magic
[16:40] <cykbook:> wtf
[16:40] <cykbook:> how?!
[16:40] <cykbook:> wtf wtf
[16:40] <alexisonfire:> ?
[16:40] <cykbook:> i took the battery out
[16:41] <cykbook:> it wasn't turned on
[16:41] <cykbook:> yet some how it was connected to irc

It was off! No fan noise. No battery while this happened. The battery was in to start with and I took it out to check it was off. It was off and yet it just joined irc. I'm completely lost.

There must be some form of backup battery in the machine. It would be impossible for a portable device to suspend to HD if the battery was removed as it would still require some power to 'hold' the system in its suspended state.

My guess is there's a small backup battery inside the netbook to allow the system to remain suspended while the battery is removed and replaced.

There must be some form of backup battery in the machine. It would be impossible for a portable device to suspend to HD if the battery was removed as it would still require some power to 'hold' the system in its suspended state.

My guess is there's a small backup battery inside the netbook to allow the system to remain suspended while the battery is removed and replaced.

The main battery was in but the machine was suspended to HD. After it connected I took the battery out. I don't think the backup battery would be enough to run windows. But windows wasn't running. No fan spinning, no hd activity. It was still suspended yet online.

As far as I am aware the only other battery in most llaptop/notebooks is the one that keeps the CMOS alive. It certainly doesn't have enough power to run the computer.

With the lid closed but still booted the compute tends to go into hibernate mode, not switched off but asleep. So in theory it might be able to be hacked in that state, but with no battery?????. Unless the manufacturers have installed a small backup battery I just can't see how it could do it.

Maybe this is one of the undocumented parts of Windows 7:LOL:

Its the netbook version that comes with little people inside - a few to wind the rubber band and a couple to work the keypad. They need their exercise every now and again. Hope you're feeding them properly, cyk.

As far as I am aware the only other battery in most llaptop/notebooks is the one that keeps the CMOS alive. It certainly doesn't have enough power to run the computer.

With the lid closed but still booted the compute tends to go into hibernate mode, not switched off but asleep. So in theory it might be able to be hacked in that state, but with no battery?????. Unless the manufacturers have installed a small backup battery I just can't see how it could do it.

Maybe this is one of the undocumented parts of Windows 7:LOL:

The lid was closed and it went to sleep. The type of sleep that allows you to wake it up by pushing a few keys. Then it goes to suspend which requires you to push the on switch to resume from HD. Thats what happened. It was properly turned off. No sounds from it. I took the battery out just to make sure. Put it in and resumed from HD. This mode is so that if the battery dies while its asleep your work is still preserved till you get more power. So it was fully off. I logged in and saw that despite being off it had infact logged into IRC just as I quoted. I have no idea how.

Its the netbook version that comes with little people inside - a few to wind the rubber band and a couple to work the keypad. They need their exercise every now and again. Hope you're feeding them properly, cyk.

I whip them.

Can you ping it when it's in that state?

So what happened was the machine was in sleep mode all day and it went to switch to hibernate. During that brief time for some reason mirc reconnected to irc. Then it went to sleep. I took the battery out and it was still hibernated. Booted up but the irc server hadn't timed out so it sent all the packets to me making it look like I had been online while the machine was off. Very unusual set of events.

Back