How long do you spend in post processing?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Roughly how do you spend post processing a shot?

Let's say that you have a shot that you're pretty happy with SOTC but you think a few tweeks etc would make it better, so you're not cloning out anything, white balance is basically ok. How long would you spend?

The reason I ask is I'm usually spending about 5-10 minutes with each shot and I'm wondering if I'm spending too little time in PP, and if I spent more time adjusting levels and such would my shots look better.

Roughly how do you spend post processing a shot?

Let's say that you have a shot that you're pretty happy with SOTC but you think a few tweeks etc would make it better, so you're not cloning out anything, white balance is basically ok. How long would you spend?

The reason I ask is I'm usually spending about 5-10 minutes with each shot and I'm wondering if I'm spending too little time in PP, and if I spent more time adjusting levels and such would my shots look better.

For me it totally depends on what I'm PP-ing

Get it right in camera and a wedding image may take 30 seconds, where as portrait image may take a few minutes to 20 mins. All depends on the image

Based on your example I would spend a few minutes in Adobe Camera Raw doing some slider adjustments and a crop/straighten

Then I will spend another 5 mins or so in PS doing levels/curves/sharpen.

If its that quick because the shot is right then so be it.
Sometimes people can be over zealous with their editing and start to look for things to do which aren't needed.
As said though it boils down to each individual image/desired outcome.

I suppose it depends on how far away the original image is to what you want it to be. Some shots will take me a few minutes, others i can spend hours on, for example if the model wants retouching. Other times that i have spent hours on a photo is when taking long exposure panoramas - the sea or clouds move a lot and autostitching can't quite manage to do it so i have to do it manually. I like post processing though and don't see it as a chore.

Hi, IMO we tend or at least some of us tend to try and fix what doesn't need any fixing. You tend on occasion to get carried away, a little dark added here, a little colour here, etc etc when all that was needed was a levels or curves and contrast adjustment.
If you get it 99% correct in camera then max 5 minutes if any adjustments are needed.
If you have a look at a guy called Moose Peterson on you tube or on his DVD's he is in, out, finished, next image, not saying all images can be done that quick but again get it correct in camera.
JMO
Russ

My subject is low level photography of military jets. Just times myself processing an image - took 3 minutes.

1) Open in ACR, crop, adjust white balance, check and adjust noise

2) Open in Photoshop, auto contrast, select plane, adjust shadows, highlights, sharpen. Inverse select background, adjust contrast, adjust saturation.

3) Save.

Obviously easier as my workflow is nearly always the same, but I reckon 3 to 5 mins max/

Alchad

Back