How long have you been into photography?

I started back in 1985 with an Olympus XA (which I wish I still owned). Went from there to an Olympus OM1n, OM2n and beyond

Thirty-six years later and I still shoot film (as well as digital) and every day's a school day still. :)

Around 50 years for me. Joined the school camera club when I was 12, saved like a maniac and bought my pride and joy, a Zorki 4K and that was me hooked !

Can't remember but is when I was back in my schooldays, proper photography with developer, fixer, enlarger ;)

It was 1962 for me. A pal's father had a darkroom and when I first saw the picture emerge in the developer I was hooked. At the age of eight I started plaguing my parents for a camera of my own and got a hand-me-down Kodak Brownie 127. I think I must have had just about every popular make over the years and now use Fuji XT3 for most things and Fuji X100S for walkabout and street work.

Not sure but I think about 1952. I bought new a Six-20 Folding Brownie which was a prewar model re-issued in 1948-52 (according to http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kodak_Folding_Brownie_Six-20) so the dates fit.

Loaded the film for development in the cupboard under the stairs and contact printed in a frame by sunlight on ”Daylight paper” (aka printing out paper I think) on the bathroom window sill, fixed in the sink. The family cameras were the usual Kodak box cameras up to that point.

I started photography one year ago with a Canon 5D mk2 and then a few months later bought my Sony a6600 which I love and use all the time. :)

Last edited:
Just over 40 years here.......
And after reading some of the posts on this thread I feel a right newb......

What a shame the OP has not been on the forum since 2nd May - pointless answering :(

What a shame the OP has not been on the forum since 2nd May - pointless answering :(
Presumable the OP is one of the wave of 'Beginners/Students' who are rather transient?

For me... I remember having a cheap (from memory) 126 film camera and a 110 one as a kid aged around 10. When I was 13 or so I got a Pentax 35mm film AF compact. Didnt really bother with it in my late teens and 20s, probably just using disposable film occasionally.

Then with digital around 2005 a Sony compact before going for a Nikon D40 in 2007 and thats when it really took off.

I used to live and breathe photography in the 1980,s then fell out of love with it sold all my gear done nothing for years but now i,ve retired i,m getting the bug back so starting as a beginner again :snaphappy:

My nan bought me a Coronet box camera at a jumble sale in 1964. Seeing that I enjoyed using it she bought me a Kodak Instamatic 50 for the following Christmas.
A friend of my father gave me an old Paterson developing tank and I learned to process my own films. A darkroom soon followed in the attic of our house.
I was handed down a Balda Baldini folding 35mm camera which I used through my school years.
Once I had left school and was earning money I bought a Miranda Sensomat and worked on my darkroom skills and collecting accessories for the Miranda.
All these years later my most used camera is the Bronica SQ-A. I also love to play with my 1928 Zeiss Trona, especially experimenting with Ilford Ortho film at the moment.
In the miniature class I have 35mm backs for the Bronicas but I also like to use my Contax iia (particularly exploring stereo pictures) , Nikon F and of course my beloved Mirandas.
That's 57 years of enjoyment - what a great hobby!

Been taking photos for 25 years but only really started thing about it properly for the past 10 or 15. Lots to learn and still learning. :)

Hands up - another one from 1976 ( purchased a Mamiya MSX500 to take away on honeymoon - with the wife of course..... )

I've been into photography ever since I took my first picture.

My dad used to get to choose products out of a catalogue as part of his bonus and I've year he chose a Fuji digital camera, it was only a 3MP thing but i was hooked. That was at the age of around 14, so about 22 years now.
Also makes me realise how little I change my gear, I had that little Fuji then went to a Fuji S9500 or something along those lines a bridge camera. Then I went all out and got a Canon 30D, then a Sony A7R and now Sony A7C.

Around 1976 when I used my brother in-laws Praktica Nova 1B to record catches from our fishing trips, never looked back since then, mainly used Nikon but made the move to Fuji a few years back.

Properly simce 2014 so just over 7 years and still learning

One of my biggest regrets is not earlier, went to some amazing places (Kamchatka and 8000m peaks spring to mind) with photos taken on auto with a handheld

I've been into photography ever since I took my first picture.

do you work for Microsoft Technical Support...

Completely undisputably accurate answer, that tells nobody anything useful and irritates everyone who interacts with it.

do you work for Microsoft Technical Support...

Completely undisputably accurate answer, that tells nobody anything useful and irritates everyone who interacts with it.
Boredom is hell all right.

24 years since my first solo wedding job.
So, let's say over 30 years in total.

Since 2013. I’ve come along way since then but still a long way off where I’d like to be. It’s been a fun journey for the most part (y)

I started in 1973, my first camera was a Russian Zenit E with 50mm lens. After that I bought a Nikon EM, then a FE2 then an FM2n before finally moving to digital with a D3000. I currently run a D810 and a Fuji X100v, I suspect that is as far as I will get since I've turned 67 now.

My first post here, from United States and Photography has been my hobby for 42 years. Started with the Canon AE1 film then my first digital was Fujifilm in 1999, then in 2005 I got seriously into Nikon DSLR’s and all Nikon Glass. 6 Nikon DSLR bodies later and now the Mirrorless Z7ii I think it’s become more than a hobby and Rather a life of its‘ own.

I've had and interest in photography since I was a kid but never really had the spare income until about 18 years ago when I bought myself a digital camera to capture what I saw whilst out hill walking and it wasn't long before the photography becoming the reason for the walks.

Back