How long to leave it...

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Once a battery is fully charged (camera or flash batteries), do they need to be used fairly quickly or can they be left a few days without losing significant amounts of power?

I charge mine as soon they're spent and often it's on the shelf for a few days till the other battery dies. They do lose a little in the standing but not enough to worry about too much. Obviously, if it's important shots and a long day - charge the night before.

I'll charge my flash batteries tomorrow for Saturday then, will take a full day to charge each set up.
If you've used a camera battery for say 200 shots, would you recharge it if it's your back up battery? I tend to use the lower capacity battery first, and have the higher capacity as back up.

If it's important shots -charge everything. ;)

You can get "ready to use" NiMH batteries now, which are ready for use straight out of the pack and when you charge them they will hold it for up to a year. Handy to have lying around if you need to use the flash in a hurry periodically.

Do battery grips use one then the other,.......or both at the same time? It would be better to be able to remove one and recharge when able.... than suddenly find them both empty.

Do battery grips use one then the other,.......or both at the same time? It would be better to be able to remove one and recharge when able.... than suddenly find them both empty.

They (at least the Canon BGE2) use them both at the same time.

However, just incase, I swap them round once in a while.

Janice - my BGs use up one first then the other (D80 & D200) - can't comment on other makes though.

Hi,

Li-on batteries will take approximately 1 year to lose 15-25% of their charge at normal room temperature....faster if they are kept in a warmer environment and far less if kept in the fridge....ie, better to store them out in the garage over winter than in the airing cupboard...dry and low humidity of course.

Be aware that you should never keep them fully charged for long periods without use....much better to store them half discharged and re-charge before use.

They will also last longer (more charge/discharge cycles) if they are recharged before becoming almost fully discharged.

Canon-wise, I remove them when there is one bar left on the LCD (equates to about 15% charge remaining).

Your flash batteries may be Ni-cad or Ni-Mh and slightly different rules apply.

So Chici-whatsit.....don't worry about charging a day or so ahead...they'll be fine when you need 'em.

Bob

They use them both at the same time Janice, at least Canon ones do. You're right though, it's better to use just the one battery in the grip and have the charged spare in your bag. That way you don't get both batteries dying on you at once.

I've yet to have a job where I even came close to worrying about power, I think the largest single use was shooing 2500 frames at a 1/2 marathon using AI servo for every shot, even then the power indicator still showed full. That was with 2 batteries in the 30D grip. But I always fully charge before each job just in case ;)

Back