How many cameras do you have and which do you prefer?

nothing too expensive

Canon AT-1
Canon AV-1
Canon AE-1
7 FD lens for the above 24mm - 200mm
Canon A-1 with MA drive and 35-105 f3.5 - all mint
aka the 'Beast'

Nikon EM with 50/1.8 and 100mm/2.8
Nikon D5000 with 18-55VR and 55-200VR

Last edited:
Olympus E-P5
Ricoh GR
Ricoh GXR
Ricoh GRD
Ricoh GR1s
Leica M3
Rollei Magic II

As you can tell I'm a bit of a Ricoh fanboy but the GR1s is an absolute gem.

Just have canon 6d and canon m now.

Used or have a compact as well but that's been passed down to the kids.

The wife has her own compact as she is scared of breaking my cameras!

Not as bad as some, which makes me feel much better.

Digital
Canon EOS 20D - First DSLR, used it for 9 years then gave it to by brother
Nikon D810 - Huge upgrade from the canon. Should last me a fair few years

Film
Mamiya RZ67 Pro II - My favourite camera. Regardless of it's size & weight, I try to take it with me everywhere.
Mamiya M645 1000S - My original medium format camera, still enjoy taking it out as it's been a very reliable workhorse.
Mamiya 645 AFD - For situations where I need more speed than the above but still want similar quality. A bit too automated to be as fun as the 67 or 1000S. Will take digital backs once they come down in price a bit.
Franka Rolfix - A 6x9 folding camera from the early 50's with a nice Schneider triplet lens. Rarely use it though as i need to get a rangefinder to help with focusing it.
Nikon F5 - My favourite 35mm film camera. Better built than any of the others.
Canon T90 - Among the best cameras canon made. Again I rarely use it now.
Canon T50 - Never bothered with it, bought it for the lens that was attached to the front.
Canon AT-1 - Very basic A series camera with needle match metering. Nice and simple and always been reliable.
Pentax ME Super - Jammed.

I have a 5d2, 7d, rx100 and sigma dp3 merrill that get used.
There's also a 30d, 300d (gave away to a friend), hx9v, hx20 and an old eos 30e film slr.

Nikon D7000 and that's it....unless I count the Minolta 9000 film camera and 2 lenses that are in the loft :)

Nikon D7200
Panny G1 full spectrum
Panny GF5
Sony NEX 5
Sony WX350
Olympus OM10
Ricoh KR10X
And a D7100 my lad uses
And an E-PL1 my other lad uses

D7200 is fave out of all but I also love the G1 for infrared:)

If I only include the ones I use regularly.

Bronica SQB. Outstanding
Rolleicord. Equally outstanding.
Olympus XA. Amazing
Olympus XA2. Also amazing.
Nikon D7000. Superb.
Fuji X100s. Similarly superb.

My favourite is the one I'm using.

My favourite is my old Contax 139 which I've had for over 30 years that I don't use anymore but can't bear to part with. Otherwise it's a Canon 70D which I'm fond of or an x10 which I probably prefer because it's such fun to use.

Last edited:
Despite having 2 identical cameras, i still have a favourite out of the two :facepalm:

6D - go to for landscape, slow moving, static shots
7Dmkii - go to for nature, birds, fast moving stuff.
G1Xmkii - for when I can't be bothered take either of the other two, not looking to shoot anything in particular, but want a camera with me for just in case.

Obviously the DSLRs are my favourite, but the G1Xmkii takes a pretty decent photo within limits.

Last edited:
7D2 - my everyday, go to camera as I generally do wildlife and fast-moving dogs.
5D3 - second camera for portraits, (of dogs, of course!), flowers and other static stuff.

I currently own 5 cameras:
Holga (x2)
Nikon FM2
Pentax MX
Leica M8

I have not used any of the film cameras for about 2 years (although I only shot film for about 3 years) as I prefer the convenience of digital but I like the way the film slr cameras are fully manual and will work perfectly even with no battery - the M8 is quite like using a film camera in terms of controls, just without the inconvenience of having to develop & scan film.

Main camera: Canon 60D, hoping to upgrade soonish.

Film:
Pentax Spotmatic F with 55mm and 35mm primes - love it for getting back to basics, have run a few films through it in the last year or so.
Canon EOS 100QD, AF film SLR. Great if I want to use film, but want convenience of AF and using my Canon EF fit lenses.

Also have a Nikon 1 J2 in the house, ostensibly for the wife, but I might replace it with either a Canon EOS M or a Fuji X of some variety.

So this is my setup................. Built up over the last 15 years or so............. ALL shared with the wife

soon to be 1dx ii
sony a7ii
sony a7rii
sony a7sii
canon 5d3
canon 6d
canon 1d iv
sonyrx100 m4
sony rx100 mk2
Mamiya 645j
Leica X-E
a silly amount of lighting ..... flashes and lenses............. and odd bits

Canon A-1 : borrowed from my Dad, but always used....
Canon F-1 : this one instead. Also my Dad's.
Canon G3 : my first digital camera. Never powered up since I got....
Canon 20D : my first DSLR, bought just over ten years ago. Now sits in a drawer never being used. I kept it out of sentimentally and "I'll use it as a second body" but never have.
Canon 7D : For a long time my main body. Has had slightly more post-upgrade use than the 20D ever did.
Canon 1D-X: Current main camera
RX100 (mkI) : my pocket camera
Vivitar : not sure of the model. A real budget underwater job.
The one in my Motorola Android phone. It's awful.

Think that's all of them.

I've 2 D800 / D3s / D700. Owned a mountain of cameras over a number of brands the past few years

A good copy of a D800 is hard to beat value for money wise atm

Sony A6000 - Main digital camera. Use as a second camera for weddings/portraits and general holiday cam

Yashica 635 TLR
- Small and lightweight medium format camera. Took it to Rome with me a few weeks ago to keep weight down but still deliver 6x6 negatives

Mamiya M645J
- Just bought this back after selling it last year to try another film camera! Also bought the 35mm 3.5 lens again which is an awesome landscape lens. Shot all of the images for this Steve Huff Film Friday article on it http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/09/05/film-friday-from-liverpool-england-by-steve-lloyd/

Polaroid 110a Custom Converted 4x5 Large Format
- I've just sold this but built it myself to have a play with Large Format film (http://www.thephoblographer.com/2015/12/03/converting-a-polaroid-110a-camera/)

Olympus OM1
- I don't shoot a lot of 35mm but keep coming back to OM bodies

Iphone 6
- The one camera that's always in my pocket :0)

I had a clear out but still have an old and well used 1Dmk2n an old well used 40D.

Now using a D3 and a D7200, both are good but prefer the D3.

Currently have
5mk3
1d mk3
1ds mk2
40d

1d mk3 is my favorite camera even though I dont use it as often. I just the like the way ot feels ;-)
Thinking on buying 1dx mk1 or 7d mk2 in near future ....

Only two

D750 - The best camera I ever used
iPhone - snapshot camera

In my Nikon lineup I have the D810 which is by far my favorite. I have a D200 and my first DSLR the D70 (which I loved but don't use anymore - often think sometimes I should for old times sake!). I also have an S9300 which I bought primarily for foreign holidays but this never gets used anymore as I just take the D810.

I've also got a bunch of old 35mm cameras that I picked up for fun at an antiques fair - Dacora, Ilford, Pentax and a Zenit-E that a relative gave me. I'm pretty sure these no longer work but made for a good macro photography practice/study!

I've had quite a few cameras over the last 3-4 years. Now I'm using a 1DX and 70D. Both serve their purpose very well. 70D is handy because it's more compact and also has Wifi which I find very handy. Also 1.6 crop sensor gets closer to the action - often use it with my 400 2.8 and the 1DX with 100-400 II. Combo works well for me.

For the knowledgeable cyclists amongst you, it is one of the 'Rules of Cycling' that the ideal number of bikes to own is n +1 where n = the number of cycles you currently own. Clearly a similar equation applies to photographers. Although I rather fear that the n in the equation for photographers must exceed a pre set minimum. I am sure the letters G, A and S could also be incorporated too if there are any mathematicians out there. :p

Last edited:
After recently selling off most of my Canon gear, I am now down to 2 - soon to be 3
Olympus E-M1 - my current favourite
Olympus E-M10
Sony a7r II on order

I still have my first Digicam - Canon Powershot G2 though

Mike

Last edited:
For the knowledgeable cyclists amomgst you, it is one of the 'Rules of Cycling' that the ideal number of bikes to own is n +1 where n = the number of cycles you currently own.
:plus1: to this!!

I'm not knowledgeable (let alone in cycling) but I do feel that the best camera I own isn't bought or in my possession at the moment.

I have a 6D (with a 5DMk1 backup) and am very happy. Very, very happy. I'm in love, however, with the Olympus OM-D (aluminium looks) as it's similar to my old OM-10 that I had for years and years. Not bought an OM-D yet as funds are limited and I think a new laptop might have to come first as I've broken my third laptop in three years :( Perhaps I should stop using a sledge hammer when typing?

Mind you - the Photography Show isn't too far away and my wallet might have a wobbly moment ...

Bit of mix n match

Pentax Z-1
Pentax Z-1p
Pentax K-5
Pentax K-3
Nikon D7100
Nikon D3
Mamiya 645 Pro SV

If I had to sell and was allowed to keep one, it would be the Z-1p

1DX just now, sold my 6D, nothing I've used comes remotely close to the 1DX. The 1DIV was better than my 5D3 but all stellar cameras. Going for a 1DXII when they are released also as a second body.

Sony a58
Sony a37
Panasonic TZ35
iPhone 6s ;)
A Zenit film camera (unsure of exact model, doesn't get used due to the price of developing photos so it's more of an ornament than anything)
Plus a Panasonic bridge and big zoom compact, and a few random Fuji compacts as well (all years old and never used).

For favourite I'm torn between the two Sony's. The 37 is a lovely camera to hold due to its small size and its 16mp sensor does seem a bit less noisy in some situations, but I find myself using the 58 most. My favourite camera ever was a Pentax Optio M10. Though only a 6 megapixel compact that ran on aa batteries, it just seemed to take great photos every time! Unfortunately it died due to an unfortunate incident with some champagne a number of years ago.

Edit: Its a Zenit 11

Last edited:
Canon 5d mk3, great camera does everything I ask of it and it's generally what I use all the time.
I did have a 50D and 400D but I gave those away to people I thought could make use of them. I wasn't using them, thought it better to pass them on rather than sit in a cupboard

My son has a 600D, we have a few canon film cameras, just for fun or as ornaments. We have a reasonably large selection of polaroid cameras collected from car boots, all working.

A Canon D10, bought for the beach/snorkling underwater and a nikon coolpix small camera for my wife. At work sometimes I use my Samsung S5 phone as it's easy to get into tight locations to see identifications.

But nearly everything I do is with my 5D mk3

Canon 5d on the shelf now and let the grand kids play with it,recently purchased mkiii ,I love it but my favourite is my 7d mkii.

Don't know if I've ever taken stock like this before... Hope the wife doesn't see!

Film stuff:
Olympus 35 Trip
Olympus 35 SP
Olympus OM1n
Olympus OM2sp
Olympus OM3
Olympus OM4
Bronica SQAi

Digital:
Pentax waterproof compact (forget the model name but it's handy)
Minolta Dimage 7 (never used now but taught me a bit)
Fuji XE1
Panasonic G3 (soon to be converted to IR)
Olympus OMD E-M5ii
Nikon D3

Hard to pick a favourite as at least four of those are contenders but it's probably the OM1n. Has a really nice purity about it without ever feeling too basic, just enough if you like. Also, all mechanical (other than meter) so it just doesn't go wrong, touch wood.

Back