How many cameras is too many?

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
On a smartphone.

The new Xaiomi Mi 10 has 6, including 108mp main camera, macro and telephoto.

My iPhone 11 has two and to be fair, the quality from it is pretty good from a phone, far better than you could get a few years back.

Should that not be lenses? is it not just the one camera still? or do they actually all use different sensors?

One's enough either way, I only ever use the phone to take casual snaps where I don't care about the quality.

Seen a review on what would be an upgrade to my phone recently, it has 3 lenses, one being a 'macro' lens that's 2mp and the quality of the images shown were absoloute junk.

Last edited:
Should that not be lenses? is it not just the one camera still? or do they actually all use different sensors?

One's enough either way, I only ever use the phone to take casual snaps where I don't care about the quality.

Seen a review on what would be an upgrade to my phone recently, it has 3 lenses, one being a 'macro' lens that's 2mp and the quality of the images shown were absoloute junk.

They each have separate sensors.

I'm clearly not well up on smart phones, cheers. Cool for those who only use their phone for photos I guess, but to e it seems real gimmicky
If you think about it, tiny sensors are cheaper than any method of moving them between the different lenses.
The most expensive parts are the lens and processor. Unlike your grown up camera where the sensor itself is probably more than the processor, due to its size.

If you think about it, tiny sensors are cheaper than any method of moving them between the different lenses.
The most expensive parts are the lens and processor. Unlike your grown up camera where the sensor itself is probably more than the processor, due to its size.

Makes sense, I'd still much prefer if they concentrated more on upping the sensor size and kept it to just one lens. Well 2 I guess, counting the usual front facing 'selfie' cam. Maybe it's just not possible without making them bricks?

Last edited:
My telephone is for making telephone calls, or playing solitare while taking a dump, nothing else!

Back