how many cards do U have and how big r they

bastic

A star
Name
Lukas
Edit My Images
Yes
just wanna' figure it out if one 4gig would fine for me...still cant dcide if i should shoot only in RAW or not...Im off to wedding soon and straight from it to monaco for a week and I wont have pc access for whole 2 weeks with camera...and if i go for RAW only i will be able to shoot not as many pics heh ...choices... :D

Personally, I prefer to have a couple of 2 gig cards as opposed to 1 4gig card. Just the thought of potentially losing that many shots puts me off.

I have about ten gig worth of card space available.

I have
1 X 4GB Sandisk Extreme III
1 X 2GB Sandisk Extreme III
3 X 1GB Sandisk Extreme III
1 X 1GB Fuji
1 X 512MB Sandisk

I got the 4GB as I was missing shots at sports events while I changed the 1 GB cards and they are so cheap now why not. The 512MB was free from Canon.

how big are RAWs from 40d? around 30MB ? I think I will go for 2x4gb ...If Im lucky and everything goes right, I will get my 40d this saturday :D cant wait :D

I filled a 1GB card with 52 RAW shots. Going to have to buy some more, 50 shots is nothing.

I have 6x4GB, 1x2GB, 1x1GB Aside from a 4GB, and the 1GB being 133x Lexars all the others are 300x Lexar cards

Never have too much storage with you.

Depends hpw big RAW files are from that camera. I have 3x2GB's and 1x1GB, which would be enough for that kind of time in my Nikon D70s, but would have run out after the second day in Monaco in the D200.

However, as already said, go for several smaller cards rather than a couple of big ones so that if a card does mess up or you lose one, you are minimising how much you lose.

if you are feeling flush with money, get one of those mini storage devices, something like this - there are several kinds available, with and without viewing screens.

http://www.kingsleyphoto.co.uk/prod.php?prod=293

2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II
2 x 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II
2 x 2GB Sandisk Extreme III
2 x 4GB Sandisk Extreme III

What I do is, I keep watching the prices on various sites to see what is the "sweet" price and grab that as soon as it is available. I only buy at a "sweet" price after doing the once - silly - mistake of buying a 1GB IBM Micro Drive for close to £600 for 1GB (of course this was back in 2001).

I shoot in both RAW (Nikon NEF) and JPEG, but delete the JPEGs once I see them. I only shoot JPEGs as they are so much quicker to open and so makes it very quick and easy for me to shuffle through the pictures after a shoot. Once that's done I mark the NEFs that I don't need, and then delete all the JPEGs and the unwanted NEFs.

1 x 2GB Sandisk Extreme III
6 x 4GB Sandisk Extreme III

3x 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III
1x 1Gb Lexar
1x 2Gb Hitachi Microdrive
----
15Gb in total.

If I get really desparate I can 'borrow' another 5Gb - cards used for other purposes (solid state video system on racing car & datalogger)

I have

1 x 4Gb Danelec
1 x 1Gb PNY
1 x 1Gb Kingston Elite Pro
1 x 512 Sandisk? (Free from Canon)

Im thinking of selling the danelec and PNY, and getting a couple of 2Gb Extreme III's instead.

3x4Gb Sandisk Extreme III.

I usually have a laptop with me on trips away and download ASAP and I take a 40Gb portable HD which is not much bigger than a credit card.

Hi, I recently bought a Lexar 8gb for £29 off wbessada on the TP sales, very fast delivery (if he has any left), been very pleased with mine, hence recomendation, also have mainly sandisc ectreme III, several 4gb, & 2gb, & some cheaper branded 1gb cards.

Tend now to mainly use the Lexar 8gb in my 40D, shooting in RAW, & batch processing in cs3, into jpegs.

Both your events coming up seem important, recommend shooting in RAW, & maybe RAW + Lg JPEG, get plenty of memory cards, big is good less card changes, but 2gb or 4gb cards obviously reduces chances of loosing loads of images if a card goes faulty, for a wedding I'd use my smaller sandisc cards.

:)

all Sandisk Extreme III's

3 x 4gb
3 x 2gb
2 x 1gb

kept the older ones as I upgraded

You get about 280-300 shots from a 40D in raw onto a 4Gb card, so if I'm shooting a football/rugby match it's usually one card for each half.

On holiday I tend to swap them around never taking more than a couple of days on one card and backing them up also.

I've never had a sandisk card go faulty, but I have had others - hence my single brand now.

5x4GB Sandisk Extreme III
2x2GB Sandisk Extreme III
2x4GB Hi speed Lexar

36 gb mostly Extreme 11 or 111 as they are plenty fast enough for me(y)

1 x 4gig Sandisk Extreme IV Compact Flash
1 x 4gig Sandisk Extreme III Compact Flash
1 x 2gig Sandisk Ultra II Compact Flash
1 x 4gig Sony Pro Duo

All for the Sony Alpha 700 - 4gigs holds approximately 210 raw files.

I run 5 x Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb cards, also have 2 x 2Gb's, 2 x 1Gb and 3 x 256Mb ones which never leave the drawer they got thrown in ;)

Will be grabbing a couple more 4Gb units soon and a couple of 4Gb SDHC's for the overflow. I prefer spreading the shots over multiple cards rather than a single 16Gb. No other reason than in the days of SmartMedia cards I had loads fail :(

5x2GB - CF Cards
3x2GB - SD Cards

The SD's are for the 1D Backups (Something I will miss with the 5d) and the Powershot G9

I only use two cards when I'm out on a job, a 2GB and a 4GB, the last ice skating competition I covered I took over 6500 shots, that's quite a lot of fundage in terms of CF's.
When a card is full, I upload it onto a Nexto ND Ultra CF2525 with Seagate 80GB, 100€ for the Nexto Shell and 50€ for the Seagate. Uk prices are pretty much the same give or take a few quid.
Saved me a fortune in CF cards, I can't recommend it more.(y)

2 x Sandisk 2Gb Ultra III's for D200
1 x Ultra III and 1 Ultra IV 4GB cards for D300. Only just bought the Ultra IV for under £30 this week and had been waiting a while for the prices to drop.

I only use two cards when I'm out on a job, a 2GB and a 4GB, the last ice skating competition I covered I took over 6500 shots, that's quite a lot of fundage in terms of CF's.
When a card is full, I upload it onto a Nexto ND Ultra CF2525 with Seagate 80GB, 100€ for the Nexto Shell and 50€ for the Seagate. Uk prices are pretty much the same give or take a few quid.
Saved me a fortune in CF cards, I can't recommend it more.(y)

Single point of failure though. I suspect the hard drive is more likely to fail/error than the CF card.

I have:

1 x 2Gb (Sandisk Ultra II)
2 x 1Gb (Sandisk Ultra III and Kingston Elite)
1 x 256Mb (Sandisk freeby)

I will be getting at least one more 2Gb card when I get my 40d soon. So cheap and will be necessary with 6.5fps goodness :)

Back