How many people use their Nifty Fifty ?

Name
Nicki.
Edit My Images
Yes
How often do people use their Nifty Fifty and if so what for?

I bought one and it has mysteriously dissapeared:thinking: :cautious: and was wondering wether to replace it in the long run?

I use mine for weddings when I'm tired of lugging huge lenses around. I also use it for family parties etc because it's small and light. Basically any time I'm feeling lazy or tired. I suppose it's useful in low light sometimes too, though mostly I just use flash with the 24-70.

Last edited:
it works well on the film camera, so I use it sometimes

Use mine quite a lot. First as a low light (bad weather) landscape, then for museums/stately homes/churches, where flash is quite often banned. Lastly, with a 2X teleconvertor and a Raynox DCR250 for macro (still working on perfecting this!)

I don't think I would be without it!!

Firstly, low light and when I am a guest at a wedding I like to take my camera and just one lens.

Secondly, it's excellent for street photography when you are trying to be discreet and silent.

Thirdly, general portraiture lens.

I can't remember the last time I used mine - it's been sat in my bag for months!

I seem to use my 24-70 for most things nowadays.

Now if it was a 1.2 - that'd be a different matter :LOL:

Last edited:
I had one for my Canon gear....once I switched to Nikon I went for 35mm as i did not liked 50mm :)

Use my nifty on film but for low light situationon my crop sensor i prefer my
30mm F1.4

Roy S

i used mine, to sit a mug on...about all it was good for

i used mine a lot when i first got it, but i don't use it at all now.

whilst the lens is indeed very sharp from 2.8, the colour/contrast can't match my other primes (100mm f2.8 macro and f135 f2).

50mm is a nice focal length to have in the camera bag and i keep toying with the idea of getting the sigma 50mm f1.4 but i can't make up my mind. HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND ;-)

I wil make your mind up - GO GET IT lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use my nifty alot for low light and non flash shots indoors , sorely tempted to go for the sigma 1.4 but they are still short supply 2nd hand and make almost new price so will wait ..... maybe:)

bought mine about 3 yrs ago. i guess its been used a couple of times.
however now i bought full frame 5d, its getting lots of use, its got a new lease of life
much more usefull on ff rather than crop

I tried shooting at 50mm with the kit lens to see if it would be worth getting one, and I just didn't like the focal length on a crop sensor. Now I'm looking at going full frame I might reconsider when I just want one lens and a small package, not sure yet though!

I used my Nifty fifty (f1.4) at a wedding party last weekend, and couldn't help but feel that it was just that little bit long and that a 30 or 35mm lens would have suited better on my D300 (crop sensor).

Cheers
Aled

I have an original Mk1 Canon, it came with my EOS 620 about 20 years or so ago. It still give wonderfully crisp images and is a pretty good portrait lens on a crop body. The shallow depth of field is good for those images that really need it too.

I'm looking forward to being able to use it on a FF body when I add one later this year. It's good value for the money too.

Steve

I use it every day, best value for money camera equipment, period.

When I had my D200, AF 50mm f1.8, 18-200 & 105vr I took about 40% of my images with it but having upgraded to the D700 and bought the 24-70 I use it's replacement the AFS50mm f1.4 rather less. It probably gets used maybe 5% of the time.

Firstly, low light and when I am a guest at a wedding I like to take my camera and just one lens.

Secondly, it's excellent for street photography when you are trying to be discreet and silent.

Thirdly, general portraiture lens.

What he said(y)

I bought one and it has mysteriously dissapeared:thinking: :cautious: and was wondering wether to replace it in the long run?

I use mine quite a bit. Great for people, low light, and chuck the flash on, bounce flash in the pub type things. Also great for minimal kit scenarios. Camera + Lens + nothing else.

One day I will upgrade to a 1.4.

However it's not everybody's cup of tea. If you don't miss it, don't replace it. I considered lending mine tonight for a week, and decided against, as I might need it.

Had it and got rid of it. 24-70/2.8 makes 50/1.8 obsolete.

50/1.4 would be a different story. Canon is built like ****, our favourite 3rd party maker has huge issues, and Canon 1.2 is too expensive and with issues. There is also Zeiss 1.4 MF version. So not a great choice really. 85/1.8 will have to do for now.

Mine lives on my camera and though I ring the changes with other lenses when needed I just keep coming back to it.

I guess maybe it was spending so many years with zooms and only Wide angle primes 28mm and below, that the joy of using a 50mm has been re discovered.

I use it a lot on my crop sensor. I did however break my Canon f1.8 the other week, so I'm using an old manual Pentax f1.7 for now until I get the Sigma f1.4.

I've got one for the "just in case" scenario. Used it once. Probably move it on. For everyday stuff my 28-70 2.8 does all I need.

I use mine plenty but its main work is when I go on holiday. If I'm abroad I don't want a hug rig to lug around so I stick the 50 onto a D40 and manually focus.

I think they're an amazing lens but I borrowed an f2 35mm recently and really liked it so I may try to pick one up sometime.

I've got one for the "just in case" scenario. Used it once. Probably move it on. For everyday stuff my 28-70 2.8 does all I need.

Rather like my experience. I had one, barely used it. Sold it. Bought the 1.4 "just in case" and barely use that. On my croppers the 17-55 was just so much more flexible and reliable in the AF department and on my larger format bodies it's the 24-70. I have the 1.4 just in case I'm in situations where f/2.8 is nowhere near adequate. Those situations are rare. Very rare.

Use my nifty on film but for low light situationon my crop sensor i prefer my
30mm F1.4

Roy S

Yep, on my D90 the 50 never got used, whereas my Sigma 30mm was my favourite lens. Now I've gone full frame, the 50 has hardly been off the camera.

My 50 is hardly ever off one of my bodies just like it and I guess its about shooting styles as much as anything

i used mine a lot when i first got it, but i don't use it at all now.

whilst the lens is indeed very sharp from 2.8, the colour/contrast can't match my other primes (100mm f2.8 macro and f135 f2).

50mm is a nice focal length to have in the camera bag and i keep toying with the idea of getting the sigma 50mm f1.4 but i can't make up my mind. HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND ;-)

Same here, got it and spent ages using just that now has been sat in corner of bag for months, great basic lens at a good price but has limitations.

i use mine indoors when the lights a bit low plus its a nice length for photographing RC cars as they are quite small & you can get quite close. its also good for people shots around the trackside pitting area (y)
so thinking about it i use it more than i thought :D

I used to use mine all the time, but since I picked up a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, I don't remember actually putting the fifty back on my cameras.

Back