How many shots do you take?

Thanks CT,

Thats much better.

I thought about using AV, but as I didn't have time to experiment on what Shutter speed was appropriateb to capture the action, I fixed the shutter speed with Tv and hoped to pp the results if they were unexposed. I went with auto ISO for the same reason.
Its all new as I usually shoot fully manual for macro.

Next time it'll be Av.

BTW the lens is a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

Last edited:
Thanks CT,
didn't have time to experiment on what Shutter speed was appropriate to capture the action,
That's an easy one Chris - you need the fastest shutter speed you can get. Don't forget that even panning with the forward movement oif the swimmer, panning wont do anything to help the up and down bobbing of the head and body and those arms going in all directions, the only thing which will freeze the action on both axis is a very fast shutter speed.- or flash.

BTW the lens is a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
Well if that was your max aperture, you were pretty much getting the fastest shutter speed anyway Chris. f/6.3 is pretty slow for indoor available light activities - /f2.8 or faster is the norm. Start saving! :D

I don't have a huge amount to add with regard to the pictures - they looked good to me - I am a total beginner at this though!. I just wanted to say - Don't be so negative about your abilities. There is nothing wrong with spray and pray for a first time out, don't apologise for it. You have to learn and as you do more of this kind of shooting you will find your average of good:naff shots will improve and you will take less pictures and have more more accuracy. Well done you for going in there and having a go and NEVER feel embarrassed about your positioning or shutter noise. I imagine the only person in there who though it sounded amateurish was you!

Thanks to all for the encouragement and help. I'm now looking forwards to the next time I get roped in to doing this!

Back