How many Type B cards for Photography

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I used to have extra SD Cards mostly 32GB to 64GB only for photography NO video.
Since buying into Nikon I only have the one Type B card with SD card overflow, just wondered if one is enough?
Again only for still images.
Thank You,
Russ.

More is more.
I don't take 1000's of snaps, but I feel compromised if I go out and don't have a spare card or two.
Also - they don't last forever!

I presume you mean CF Express Type B? I presume it is one of the higher end Zs or D850/D500.

Answer depends on what you photograph. Unless you are into motorsport/sport or wildlife (eps. birds) a collection of high capacity SD cards should be enough. The 32Gb should fill up quickly too if you shoot RAW plus fine JPEG, so 64Gb is better. 128Gb cards are now fairly reasonably priced. If you are into fast paced action, a CF Express Type B (or XQD) is recommended with a UHS-II SD card in the second slot. I recently learned how much quicker it is to download newer UHS-II cards than older SDHC or XC cards, especially with modern card readers...

Brandwise I stick with Sandisk/Sony/Lexar.

I only ever have 1 card per slot in the camera. I don't want to be sorting through/storing gigabytes of images every time I go out.

When I got the R6 I bought a pair of 256GB cards, 1 for each slot.

They’re the only cards I plan on ever putting in there.

I have a couple of annual events that I shoot, other than that it’s family and holidays.

Simple answer is ‘what’s your use case?’

Do the cards you’ve bought hold enough for a days shooting? Do you regularly shoot all day for days on end? Do you usually download daily? etc etc.

I only ever have 1 card per slot in the camera. I don't want to be sorting through/storing gigabytes of images every time I go out.
Depends on a lot of things. What is being photographed, what is the camera. It doesn't take long to till up a 32Gb card with a 45.7meg camera. Admit if it is landscape or a city break one is not likely to shoot at 10/20 FPS as not much will change from frame to frame you'll get away with one card.

Back