How many use viewfinder info?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering, I hear people saying they wish it had ISO, was brighter, etc.
Personally I just use it to frame the shot, everything else is done on the LCD.

I use the shutter speed and aperture readouts plus I also use the "in focus" dot. The only other thing it's got is the exposure comp but I tend to use the lcd for that due to the 3 finger salute required to change it.

wish I could turn em off tho coz it's REALLY bright when trying to do astro photography

As above - use shutter speed, aperture, focus point, and if shooting in varying conditions will use the exposure compensation.
ISO would be useful if only to avoid the risk of shooting in at an unecessary level by mistake.

I shoot a lot stuff using Av Mode so it's handy to be able to check the shutter speed in the viewfinder.

Please tell me you can see the ISO in that 1D viewfinder Doddy!

I find the visual ISO check useful, especially when I've forgotten to change it. Also the In-focus light and the Exposure Compensation warning is useful too - it's all too easy to forget you've set it. I often change the aperture with my eye to the camera too, so I suppose I use it a lot. :)

Warspite said:
As above - use shutter speed, aperture, focus point, and if shooting in varying conditions will use the exposure compensation.
ISO would be useful if only to avoid the risk of shooting in at an unecessary level by mistake.
Yeah too right, the amount of times i have forgotten to change it back to a sutable setting after doing some handheld low light shots on 800 or something:bang:

I use it alot. but the 350 is my first slr camera, so I'm not used to anything else:shrug:

i use it for everything, not too bothered about it being brighter as its fine how it is, iso info isnt something i need on it neither.

due to the nature of what i do, shutter/aperture speeds vary wildly so i use the info in the view finder all the time

oh and the exposure comp/meter

so basically i use everything within it but wouldnt really say i need more info there!

CT said:
Please tell me you can see the ISO in that 1D viewfinder Doddy!

I find the visual ISO check useful, especially when I've forgotten to change it. Also the In-focus light and the Exposure Compensation warning is useful too - it's all too easy to forget you've set it. I often change the aperture with my eye to the camera too, so I suppose I use it a lot. :)
Never even looked for it, I'll take your word that it's there :p

Interesting, maybe just what I tend to do mostly means you don't have time to check it anyway. Exposure I check with the histogram and adjust ISO as needed.

On the 350, I used it to confirm everything, rather than set things.

I'd set options via the LCD, and confirm before I press the shutter, if that makes sense. I'd also use it for making EXP Comp adjustments.

On the 30D, I use it for basically everything, including ISO now :woot:

I don't take note of the focus lock, nor the FEC, nor AELock, or WB setting on the viewfinder, as they're either functions that I don't use anyway, or don't change often enough to need me to check it at a moments notice.

Use it all the time, why take the camera away from your face when you don't need to? I'm quite used to where all the buttons on the d70 are now so the only thing I need to look at the lcd for is ISO as it's not in the vf.

Ultimately it shows everything I need though, metering being the most important, shutter and aperture too. I tend to ignore the focus light unless the lens starts hunting. Probably why a lot of my shots are oof lol.

I'm another who tends to fiddle with aperature or shutter speed with the camera still to my eye, so it gets a lot of use. Because for regular situations I know exactly what speed and aperture I want for speedway, I work on manual a lot and flick the shutter speed up or down slightly to suit the racing as it happens. The viewfinder info is invaluable for that.

Shamefully though I hadn't even noticed that the ISO info was in there on the 30d - how embarassing! :bonk:

Another nice tweak which is in the 30D's favour then. (y)

Well yes, at least, it would have been had I noticed it! oops!

MUST go and read that instruction book....! ;)

I've just done mine, cover to cover :D

It's the only instruction book I ever read :p

Canon have obviously listened to all the moans about the ISO not being visible without pressing the ISO button or checking file info on the 20D, which is a serious oversight on a camera of that quality. Still at least they've now addressed the issue.

I'm a girl for goodness sake - I'm supposed to read them!!!!

So, I have no excuse for shooting 50 shots last saturday afternoon in bright sunlight, at ISO 1000 then?!

:LOL:

CT, it *still* isn't part and parcel of the viewfinder, as the shutter speed and aperture are.
You still have to press the ISO button to see it, however, with there only being three buttons on the top of the camera (obviously excluding the light button), then it's easy to feel the middle one and keep looking in the viewfinder, while you rotate the back wheel.

Ah... gotcha. Well all I'm gonna say about my cock ups this morning is there should be a viewfinder warning for Image Stabilisation enabled. :coat:

Marcel said:
:LOL:

CT, it *still* isn't part and parcel of the viewfinder, as the shutter speed and aperture are.
You still have to press the ISO button to see it, however, with there only being three buttons on the top of the camera (obviously excluding the light button), then it's easy to feel the middle one and keep looking in the viewfinder, while you rotate the back wheel.

Ahhh - that would explain it then!! I now feel marginally less of a twit!

Any other useful snippets of info you've gleaned from that book that you've read and I haven't?!

We should all test him now shouldn't we and ask him questions on the manual. :LOL:

Firing in manual almost exclusively I tend to use the viewfinder for everything there is on display ... :p

... another of the 'if its in the V why waste energy taking the camera away from your face' brigade ... (y)

Needless to say I've just grabbed the camera and tried the ISO thing out.....I can see me making a regular habit of STILL forgetting to check it though!!!

never change the iso on mine, its either on 100 or 200, whatever the standard is set at

LOL - wouldn't work for me at speedway though - I'd be getting shutter speeds of somewhere around 1/60th wide open at the very start of the night!To get useable stuff I need to be able to get at least 1/125th at the moment - and even that is a bit hit and miss.

I "default set" mine to 200 the rest of the time - and then adjust according to conditions from there.

Witch said:
Any other useful snippets of info you've gleaned from that book that you've read and I haven't?!

Err, you can now zoom in while in the timed review mode (the 1 2 4 or 8 seconds after taking a shot).

Providing custom function 17 is set to 1......while reviewing a shot after you've taken it...hold down the print button (left of the viewfinder), and use the zoom buttons :D

im so used to the fact that by looking at the shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder i can tell if i have the wrong iso setting.....

shooting a gig tonight was fun, i enjoyed it, ill post some results and some less expected results... tomorrow

I always use the viewfinder to check/change shutter speed aperture etc.

whitewash said:
im so used to the fact that by looking at the shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder i can tell if i have the wrong iso setting.....

shooting a gig tonight was fun, i enjoyed it, ill post some results and some less expected results... tomorrow

That's actually quite true. Quite often, I've noticed a shutter spd/aperture combination and thought "Hang on, I shouldn't be getting those speeds"

CT said:
Another nice tweak which is in the 30D's favour then. (y)
You people didn't already know this !?!?!
I thought that was the only reason to go for a 30D over 20D

SDK^ said:
You people didn't already know this !?!?!
I thought that was the only reason to go for a 30D over 20D

I didn't tbh. Spot metering has to be the numero uno reason to go for the 30D though.

Back