Beginner How much is too much?

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone

I've recently got back into photography, I'm very much an amatuer still even though I've had DSLR's for about 10 years

I took this image yesterday, very poor light, middle of the day and a lot of white cloud cover

Is it too processed? I feel like it looks good, but I would wouldn't I lol, any feedback or pointers would be brill. I've attached the original file so you can see how it was captured, or to show me what you would do. I couldn't figure out how to upload a RAW file

Thanks
Shaun

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2594-3.jpg
    IMG_2594-3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 122
Colours are over saturated. There are fringes around the roof line and other places. This is probably down to over sharpening the image (it could be caused by repeated saving of the jpeg file) - sharpness should be controlled at the taking point.

You cannot upload a Raw file. You cannot even look at a Raw file at home on your own computer.

Last edited:
I think the foreground and buildings look too saturated, I'd have been tempted to treat the sky as a separate layer, or at least mask it so the effects weren't over the whole image. But if you are happy with it, then that is the most important thing. :)

What ive learned over the years is you cant polish a turd. You can roll it in glitter, but you cant change what is a dull, grey day. The scene is nice, there's interest on both the left and right of the scene. Foreground rocks are blurry due to DOF (depth of field) so don't really enhance the photo any. sky is bland but nothing you can do there. If you shot this on a sunny day, with blue skies and fluffy clouds it would be more appealing. Why not try making it black and white and maybe drop a graduated ND filter on, in post production. Give the sky some clarity and reduce the exposure and it might change the feel of the image.

Colours are over saturated. There are fringes around the roof line and other places. This is probably down to over sharpening the image (it could be caused by repeated saving of the jpeg file) - sharpness should be controlled at the taking point.

You cannot upload a Raw file. You cannot even look at a Raw file at home on your own computer.

My PC diplays Raw files in normal explorer, wasn't sure if you could upload it as attachment

I think the foreground and buildings look too saturated, I'd have been tempted to treat the sky as a separate layer, or at least mask it so the effects weren't over the whole image. But if you are happy with it, then that is the most important thing. :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

What ive learned over the years is you cant polish a turd. You can roll it in glitter, but you cant change what is a dull, grey day. The scene is nice, there's interest on both the left and right of the scene. Foreground rocks are blurry due to DOF (depth of field) so don't really enhance the photo any. sky is bland but nothing you can do there. If you shot this on a sunny day, with blue skies and fluffy clouds it would be more appealing. Why not try making it black and white and maybe drop a graduated ND filter on, in post production. Give the sky some clarity and reduce the exposure and it might change the feel of the image.

:LOL: brill that made me laugh. But yeah good point, I'll give the B&W a go

Good luck Shaun. I was hoping you wouldn't find me too aggressive. I'm not slating the photo, just the day. I will always offer advice and not just say what I think is wrong. I'm no expert but try to help and advise where possible. Id be keen to see the re-edits.

Good luck Shaun. I was hoping you wouldn't find me too aggressive. I'm not slating the photo, just the day. I will always offer advice and not just say what I think is wrong. I'm no expert but try to help and advise where possible. Id be keen to see the re-edits.

Absoloutley not mate, the whold day was just grey and I felt aggreived jusyt binning them all after I'd just got the camera. 2nd hand 6D but better than my ancient 1200d I had lol

Nice Pic but for me my eyes are drawn to the out of focus rocks in front, I appreciate you have had to step back to get the scene in though.
I would have tried to get the one in the bottom left out of scene.

Nice Pic but for me my eyes are drawn to the out of focus rocks in front, I appreciate you have had to step back to get the scene in though.
I would have tried to get the one in the bottom left out of scene.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah the rocks are very distracting, I only had my 70-200mm with me, had to order a new wide lens after switching to full frame.

Much better as a mono shot in my humble opinion.

Thanks for all the input guys. I know it technically wasn't the best shot but I've got an idea now of how far, or not as it seems to push colours etc

Much appreciated

I think it's a decently composed image, other than the OOF rocks in the foreground, and an interesting subject, unfortunately the conditions weren't ideal. It does work better in mono, and using a 16:9 crop to remove the foreground rocks also improve it overall, imo.

My PC diplays Raw files in normal explorer, wasn't sure if you could upload it as attachment
No' it doesn't. Your PC is displaying the embedded jpeg not the Raw image. That is the Raw image after a camera default processing.

No' it doesn't. Your PC is displaying the embedded jpeg not the Raw image. That is the Raw image after a camera default processing.

That's good to know. If I must make it more clearer I was wondering if there was way to attach the raw for people to download to look at in their preferred editing software to have a look at. Which I'm sure you knew is what I meant but are just being pedantic about it. If you haven't got anything constructive to add I suggest we leave it at that

I think it's a decently composed image, other than the OOF rocks in the foreground, and an interesting subject, unfortunately the conditions weren't ideal. It does work better in mono, and using a 16:9 crop to remove the foreground rocks also improve it overall, imo.

Thanks for feedback. I never even thought about changing the ratio lol
IMG_2594-Edit.jpg

That's good to know. If I must make it more clearer I was wondering if there was way to attach the raw for people to download to look at in their preferred editing software to have a look at. Which I'm sure you knew is what I meant but are just being pedantic about it. If you haven't got anything constructive to add I suggest we leave it at that
I was being helpful. Understanding leads to excellence. Thinking that the image they see on the screen is actually the Raw image leads many people to make mistakes in their processing.

That ratio looks spot on. Getting rid of the oof rocks really makes a difference. So from a bland day scene capture, you now have something that is interesting and has some mood. I would still darken the sky but then you would have to maintain the whiteness of the lighthouse which could be awkward.

That ratio looks spot on. Getting rid of the oof rocks really makes a difference. So from a bland day scene capture, you now have something that is interesting and has some mood. I would still darken the sky but then you would have to maintain the whiteness of the lighthouse which could be awkward.

Thanks JP, could easily mask the lighthouse before I re do the graduated filter I guess :)

Back