How much RAM in a MacBook Pro?

Name
Malc
Edit My Images
No
Am soon to replace my current ageing MacBook Pro with a new one. Currently have 15" with 16GB RAM and 512 GB Storage.
It is used for daily surfing and all photo editing in PS CC/Bridge/ACR. No gaming or tv/film watching/streaming. Connected to external 27" screen for PS work.

As the price difference between the 13" and 15" version is horrendous I am thinking of down-sizing to the 13" version.
Now, what I know about these things can be written on a postage stamp, hence this post.

Would a new 13" MacBook Pro, with 2,3 Ghz processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB storage be good enough to cope with RAW and TIFF files, multi layers, etc, or would I need to go up to 16GB RAM?
I store all images externally and only have those I am working on stored on the machine.

Thoughts and opinions from those of you who know about these things, please.
NB! I am NOT interested in looking at Windows alternatives.

Last edited:
If you are getting a new MacBook Pro is do not have USB 3.0 it has USB-C ports.

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 13" 2.3GKz Intel Core i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM and works fine for me. I have change one thing I would be more RAM but that because I do more then PS CC on it

To add some more thoughts: If have a 2015 13" MBP with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM, soon to be upgraded to 2TB SSD. I find the 13" screen frustrating for some applications but it is certainly usable. The increase in SSD size is partly for work purposes and partly so that I can store photos on an internal drive when traveling.

Given that the new (post 2015) MacBook Pros can not be upgraded by the users to increase internal disc size or to add more RAM, I would tend to opt for large sizes in both at purchase. I would find a 256GB SSD to be too small to store LR catalogs and itunes (I need about 150GB just for these two things). Yes, you can put these (and your photos) on external drives. But, that requires remembering to bring along with an extra drive and cables. As for RAM, Adobe is currently recommending 8GB as the minimum. You could probably manage with 8GB, depending on how big your files are, how many you open at once and how many complex layers you create. Given that you cannot upgrade after purchase, I'd bite the bullet and get 16GB for comfort. I know this puts the price up. That's one of the frustrations of buying Apple - their disregard of the needs of users to upgrade rather than always buy new :(

MAny thanks, Nick...the not being able to upgrade at a later date is a 'bug' I ahd forgotten, so thanks for the reminder. It would make sense to have more than I need at present - you never know when in the future you might be glad for it.
Ideally, I'd go for the 15" version, but the difference in price hardly seem justified - I can't see why it is so much more expensive.

I'm writing this on a MacBook Pro 13" 2017 with 8GB. It's fine for use with the GIMP but I don't know how well it would cope with heavy duty Adobe programmes (which in my experience are RAM hogs). Apple's recent obsession with tied down motherboards is a nuisance but they do have something of a captive market to rely on.

To add some more thoughts: If have a 2015 13" MBP with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM, soon to be upgraded to 2TB SSD. I find the 13" screen frustrating for some applications but it is certainly usable. The increase in SSD size is partly for work purposes and partly so that I can store photos on an internal drive when traveling.

Given that the new (post 2015) MacBook Pros can not be upgraded by the users to increase internal disc size or to add more RAM, I would tend to opt for large sizes in both at purchase. I would find a 256GB SSD to be too small to store LR catalogs and itunes (I need about 150GB just for these two things). Yes, you can put these (and your photos) on external drives. But, that requires remembering to bring along with an extra drive and cables. As for RAM, Adobe is currently recommending 8GB as the minimum. You could probably manage with 8GB, depending on how big your files are, how many you open at once and how many complex layers you create. Given that you cannot upgrade after purchase, I'd bite the bullet and get 16GB for comfort. I know this puts the price up. That's one of the frustrations of buying Apple - their disregard of the needs of users to upgrade rather than always buy new :(
I thought you could take it to a apple store to upgrade it.

I have been looking at a MacBook Pro as my next Mac and would consider 16GB RAM as the minimum for a workstation machine.

Slightly off topic and not entirely sure what new MBP’s come with these days but last year I had a HD issue on my 13” MBP and the tech man advised I upgrade to a SSD hard drive. Wow, what a difference that made. Everything was so much faster and it wasn’t silly expensive either.

Slightly off topic and not entirely sure what new MBP’s come with these days but last year I had a HD issue on my 13” MBP and the tech man advised I upgrade to a SSD hard drive. Wow, what a difference that made. Everything was so much faster and it wasn’t silly expensive either.
The ones I'm looking at are with SSD...

I don't think the memory is upgradable in any Macbook Air or Macbook / Macbook Pro with either the touch bar and/or retina screen. Its soldered to the motherboard...

So if you can afford to so so, max it out...
Beginning to realise that this makes sense...

The ones I'm looking at are with SSD...

Thought they might be. Much improved performance than an old style hard drive.

When mine went faulty last year I looked at a new MPB but the price is starting to get a little silly

Lovely piece of kit though

Currently have 15" with 16GB RAM and 512 GB Storage.

This brings up the question, is it worth upgrading at all? You will gain certainly in terms of CPU power, not so much in terms of graphics since your tasks are not heavy on that side, but you will lose flexibility of good old non-USB-C ports, not to mention going down to a smaller screen...

What year and processor do you have at the moment ?

This brings up the question, is it worth upgrading at all? You will gain certainly in terms of CPU power, not so much in terms of graphics since your tasks are not heavy on that side, but you will lose flexibility of good old non-USB-C ports, not to mention going down to a smaller screen...
It's slowing down considerably - very noticeable when working in PS. It's a 2103 model and has been used every week day 7-8 hours a day in connection with work (I am now retired).
The screen size is not an issue for me.

Last edited:
Larger than necessary seems pretty much an essential if buying a current Macbook to me, because of that non-upgradable nature. I'd not buy less than 16/512GB to ensure it would still have enough capacity for 3-5 years time.

I thought you could take it to a apple store to upgrade it.
Not since the touchbar models came out :(

Users can upgrade the SSD in model produced up to the 2015 MBP (MacbookPro 12.2). RAM hasn't been user-upgradable since the 2012 MBP. Since these parts are now soldered in place, the store couldn't do anything either :( I guess you could buy a replacement motherboard but that would be very expensive I am sure.

Frustrating move by Apple.

Not since the touchbar models came out :(

Users can upgrade the SSD in model produced up to the 2015 MBP (MacbookPro 12.2). RAM hasn't been user-upgradable since the 2012 MBP. Since these parts are now soldered in place, the store couldn't do anything either :( I guess you could buy a replacement motherboard but that would be very expensive I am sure.

Frustrating move by Apple.
Very

Like others have said make sure you upgrade the RAM (and possibly the SSD) to the max size you can afford when buying it new. Don't spec for what you need now, think of what you will likely need in the future. Personnally 16GB RAM would be the minimum I would go with.

It's slowing down considerably - very noticeable when working in PS. It's a 2103 model and has been used every week day 7-8 hours a day in connection with work (I am now retired).
The screen size is not an issue for me.
I've got a 13" MacBook pro (2017 with touch bar - never use the touch bar) - It's miles faster than a 2013 15". I've got 8gb of ram and 256 gb SSD hard drive - I use it pretty much exclusively for Photo Mechanic and Photoshop and routinely open and adjust 25-30 Canon 1dx raws at a time in Camera Raw while shooting football. I don't store any pics on it though - I back everything up after a match and delete the originals off the laptop.

Word of warning though - the screens are very fragile - I'm on my third one and they cost £535 to get replaced.

2013 and 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
Do you have an SSd already ?
If not that could be a cheap but powerful upgrade to yours, a lot of videos on you tube test the old and new MacBook Pro’s and strangely not that much improvement on an upgraded older version ?

Do you have an SSd already ?
If not that could be a cheap but powerful upgrade to yours, a lot of videos on you tube test the old and new MacBook Pro’s and strangely not that much improvement on an upgraded older version ?

You'll see a big difference on startup time, opening and closing applications and opening files. What the SSD can't fix is processor-intensive tasks like brushwork, importing and exporting, resizing etc.

Last edited:
Like others have said make sure you upgrade the RAM (and possibly the SSD) to the max size you can afford when buying it new. Don't spec for what you need now, think of what you will likely need in the future. Personnally 16GB RAM would be the minimum I would go with.
Exactly what Rob says, max out the Ram, you can never have too much ram in a computer these days, the more the merrier. Photoshop will love the higher specs (16gig and SSD) as it tends to use a scratch disk for big files, personally I would never buy a machine that only has 8 gig in it, that is probably the bare minimum these days.

Many thanks for all the replies, guys.

Have made up my mind that 16gb is the no-brainer option after reading what you all have to say - just need to see if I go for the 13" version, or can somehow persuade the in-house chancellor of the exchequer that I really need the 15" - but I'm not too hopeful!

Many thanks for all the replies, guys.

Have made up my mind that 16gb is the no-brainer option after reading what you all have to say - just need to see if I go for the 13" version, or can somehow persuade the in-house chancellor of the exchequer that I really need the 15" - but I'm not too hopeful!

Have a look at the Apple refurbs, should save you enough to prevent civil war.

Have a look at the Apple refurbs, should save you enough to prevent civil war.
Haha! Yeah, it could save me some hassle and headache! I1ll pop into my local Apple store and have a word - have always been a bit sceptical when it comes to buying used electronics...

you get the same warranty with refurbs as you do with new, often thought about the new Mac mini refurb myself

If you can hold out a few months apparently there is talks of a 16 inch model being released. Which will also go back to the old style keyboard mechanism. I wouldn’t buy the current generations with the keyboard problems.

Three generations with keyboard replacement programs in place proves there’s a problems with the design and they haven’t been able to fix it with incremental changes.

I upgraded last year from my 2010 13" Core 2 Duo to a Early 2013 Retina 15" with 8GB RAM and 2.4GHZ i7, and I really was blown away.

Granted, this was for my main hobby, music production, but was amazed at the performance boost. My old model hit system overload errors with just 8 tracks using a stress test with multiple plugins/software instruments. I thought if I can get 32 tracks, thats more than enough.

Got a great deal on a used one that was mint, and was amazed to see I could manage 102 tracks using the stress test before overload errors. I didn't expect THAT much of a boost.

I'm finding it also fine for using PS and LR now I have a subscription. I do notice the CPU temp hits ridiculous levels when converting though.

With the RAM and SSD being non user replaceable in all new MBP's, I would try and get 16GB if you can stretch to it to keep it running as long as possible, they are expensive!

Would you be willing to put up with the keyboard though? It's the reason I didn't get a newer model when I upgraded, and if there is a possibility of returning to the old style or something more sturdy, think it would be worth the wait.

If you can hold out a few months apparently there is talks of a 16 inch model being released. Which will also go back to the old style keyboard mechanism. I wouldn’t buy the current generations with the keyboard problems.

Three generations with keyboard replacement programs in place proves there’s a problems with the design and they haven’t been able to fix it with incremental changes.
Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the keyboard problem. May be worth waiting for the next gen. to roll out...

Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the keyboard problem. May be worth waiting for the next gen. to roll out...

There has been talk of class action law suits in the US over Apple's failure to recall the faulty product (basically a design flaw that's not been fixed through a coupe of iterations). While the problems may be a little over-stated, my impression is it's a case of when it fails rather than if. The trouble appears to be caused by dust & particulates getting inside the mechanism and preventing keys registering a press. I had this issue with a 10YO Philips laptp I bought a long time ago, and it's tremendously frustrating, but I could replace that keyboard myself in 15min - this requires a major strip-down by Apple.

OTOH if you have an external keyboard & mostly use the lappie in clamshell mode with an external screen (recommended with a 13" screen for image processing) then it will last longer.

Back