How much RAM?

I have 32gb in my desktop and 8gb in my laptop and in all fairness there is not a lot of difference between the two as the desktop is 5 years old and the laptop is 6 months old, while both have SSD's the RAM speed and CPU is a lot faster in the laptop

He is probably running virtulizations, they eat memory.
My typical usage is around half of physical installed memory, always have a few apps open.
That would do it too easily if say you were to load windows 11 with Photoshop and reasonable allowance of memory on say Linux. Because why would you do that on windows host. You may as well also make sure to get latest i9 or Ryzen 5950x to make sure you don't run out of cores for both. I barely have 5600x which is surprisingly ok for now for one core system or some minor virtualization application

32GB in this one, the workstation in the other room has 96GB, which more than my ESXi server has.

tbh 32GB is more than enough for what I need. If I were using the workstation for virtualization that would be different.

24 MB is probably enough to run Aldus PageMaker and Freehand together on an LCIII, but you might struggle to keep Photoshop open at the same time; it would depend on the size of the files you are working on.

Go for 32MB if you need the freedom and you are working regularly with 24-bit colour.

:-D

Yet another 32GB here. Seems to do what I need it to do, pretty well.

I have 16GB on each of my M1 Macs and it seems fine to me.

I just bought a refurb Dell tower to keep offline once updated it is just for office work really as had a bit of a scare with ageing main PC doing everything last week when it did a BSOD and was not looking forward to gathering office stuff and records from various backups. I got the main PC away again with windows re-install but would prefer not to rely on it alone for business side.
Anyway with no fancy video card and 16GB of RAM the little Dell is faster than expected.
Seems to take a long time to boot though but that's because it has no SSD it's just a 500GB conventional disc.
It was well under £100 delivered :) .

Last edited:
I have 128gb in my machine... I have never used more than 60 odd, but it's nice to have :)
Absolutely right most of my machines have at least 48GB RAM and I feel really comfy with them LOL

My first computer had 3,583 bytes of RAM (3.5Kb) and 1.5Kb of ROM. I had an expansion pack which raised it to 16Kb.
You youngsters don't know you're born! :wideyed:

My first computer, which I built on the kitchen table, had 256 bytes of RAM and saved data to an old cassette recorder. I somehow squeezed a calculator or a noughts and crosses game into that - but only one at a time.

Those were the days - and good riddance to them. :naughty:

It's also got 2 8 core Xeon's.... :cool:

2 - 16 core EPYC's here. So all in all 32 cores - 64 threads. 128gb RAM which is also sufficient.

Even with 100mp MF files DXO, C1Pro when I had it didn't lag. D850 files and 645z ones it just shrugs off. If I moved fully to 100mp or beyond - I might stick another 128gb. I cannot stand slow running machines. I expect and require instantaneous responses to any task at any time :D I don't do "waiting".

GPU is the RTX4000 - and export times are hilariously fast and you can edit whilst exporting with no real noticeable drop in system performance.

Last edited:
Back