How often do you check your autofocus?

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
Obviously on dSLRs not mirrorless.

I'm tempted to say never, but I do occasionally, but certainly not on a regular basis.

Should it be done regularly, or just when something seems not quite right?

I've used a 5D2, 5D3 and now a 5D4 and never had any issues in terms of focus from the equipment. If I buy a new lens, I set the camera and lens combo on a tripod, IS off and take a test set of shots at various focal length and subject distance. Once confident that the combination works, I know any subsequent issues is not with the 'equipment' in terms of focus... (ahem)

Is that the plural of 5D, ie the whole range, or the 5DS only?

Will be getting a 5Diii very soon :)
5Ds/5DsR/D850 theses ones. 50MP is beyond the DSLR autofocus accuracy.

You can't even go beyond f/7.1-8 on these. Well you can but it defeats the purpose of shooting high res body.

On 20 something your limit is around f/10.

Last edited:
I have had a 5D2 and now a 5D4 and never had a focus issue. I did check it once but it was spot on.

Dave

Only if I have lens-specific issues....I have a lens that needs -20 adjustment, went back to Nikon, and they said it was ok, and since I have bought a D850 it still requires adjustment. Just so, that at f1.8 it's quite atrocious but once you go over f2.8 it is much better.

Each new lens/body combination gets run through Reikan Focal which works out the microadjustment (it can apply that to one camera body, but not the other).

I have never gone back to re-test, nor have I ever felt it to be necessary.

I have bought all my bodies and lenses secondhand, and have had virtually no problems. However I bought a EOS 1DS mk III which, despite the lower usage had focus that was way off. I paid Canon to re-calibrate it, and it has been good as gold since then. I also have two examples of EF 50mm f/1.4; the first is very inconsistent with focus, hence I bought the second, which is better, but still nowhere near the L lenses.

I just check a new lens is OK when I first get it, then I just forget about it. I've never had to go back and check again.

Obviously on dSLRs not mirrorless.

I'm tempted to say never, but I do occasionally, but certainly not on a regular basis.

Should it be done regularly, or just when something seems not quite right?
my approach was check when new and again if something seems not quite right as you say. I have the focal program to check and figure out any adjustments needed.

When I shot Nikon DSLR's I tuned all lenses once a month as found they drifted over time.

When I was shooting with DSLR bodies I sent my main lens and body to Canon for a setup/service was spot on after that
Am on mirrorless now so it’s not nessersary as far as I understand

I've shot around 400 weddings on canon 5ds and never checked my focus once lol so my answer is only when something seems off

Never, but not feeling like maybe I should.

Back