How often do you get your kit serviced?

Edit My Images
No
Just wondering how often you guys send your kit (bodies / lenses) off for servicing?

Did you notice much difference after the service?

I got the cameras serviced and sensors cleaned once at a free canon clinic but I didn't notice any difference in them afterwards. They run this service every year in Dublin but i could still see some dust marks on the sensors at f16 so never bothered again.

I did not realise camera bodies needed services. I used my EOS camera for 8 years before I sold it, I never had it services once. What exactly does a service entail?

It all depend on what conditions you are using the cameras under,say if their in daily use maybe once an year,or if you been away on a trip in harsh conditions working maybe when you get home,other wise if their seem to be nothing wrong,but its still an working camera with lighter use say a wedding once or twice a week,maybe every couple of years :)

Following the advice of a Canon-approved service technician, we never wasted money by getting got our gear serviced. We simply replaced the bodies (EOS1N then 1DMkII then 1DMkIII) when they were at roughly 50% of the design life of the shutter/mirror box assembly. All I ever did with our lenses was calibrate them to the bodies. Why pay somebody else to do that and Hoover them (which is what a lens service amounts to) when whatever dust that's in there makes no difference at all to anything?

When they go wrong.

Like others I have taken advantage of free cleans at shows or by Canon CPS / Nikon NPS (depending on what I owned at the time).

Never found the need to service anything with the exception of getting a large investment long lens bought second-hand that I had cleaned and checked just after purchasing and before use at some major events - but nothing owned from new. Of it isn't broken don't fix it.

Recently slipped over while running between jobs and had my 5d3 looked at as focus was a little off, they replaced the af mirror as it has slipped out of alignment- focus is better than it was before the accident now aha

So usually when I notice something being wrong, as I shoot about 3000 frames a week I soon notice when things are off aha

I got the sensors cleaned at a free canon clinic but i could still see some dust marks on the sensors at f16....
That's shocking. You should have asked for your money back.

Seriously though, at LensesForHire we clean the sensor every time a camera is hired. Our target is no visible dust specks at 100% magnification at f/32 or f/40. We can't always achieve that, but we'd be VERY disappointed if there was dust visible at f/16.

Seriously though, at LensesForHire we clean the sensor every time a camera is hired. Our target is no visible dust specks at 100% magnification at f/32 or f/40. We can't always achieve that, but we'd be VERY disappointed if there was dust visible at f/16.

Nice to hear a company like yourself maintaining such high standards (y)

Nice to hear a company like yourself maintaining such high standards (y)
Cheers Joe. We really don't have much option though.

Only yesterday we had a bloke ranting at us because, he said, the dust in a lens he'd hired from us had ruined a load of pictures. It was really hard work trying to persuade him to put a different lens on the camera and take some test shots at similar apertures, but when he did.... it was the sensor, not the lens. It's always the sensor.

So if it's our sensor we have to make it as clean as we can, and we keep the test shots (which conveniently have the camera's serial number embedded in the Exif data). Then if somebody complains that our dirty sensor ruined his photos, we can *prove* that it was clean when we sent it.

Basic self protection.

It's a sales thing they run every year at their Dublin outlet and while you are browsing the shop they offer a free sensor clean and camera service!

Have you moved over to the eyelead Stewart, would be interested to know what you use.

Back