How old is your computer?

Before discovering women and adult life, I used to upgrade my PC around every 1-2 years. I now work on a ~5 year cycle with my main rig been around 2 years old (R7 1700/16GB though the 1TB nVME and Vega 56 are newer purchases). My HTPC is around a year old (Ryzen 2400/16GB/512GB nVME) and I also have a repurposed 2011 iMac (work were going to throw it which is such a waste so I took it off their hands and installed an SSD, a great kitchen/home office computer now). Ideally I shouldn't really need to upgrade any time soon but it's hard to resist sometimes....

15 inch, early 2011 Macbook pro which I maxed out the ram on and installed an SSD. Still going well, powers my Benq 27inch SW2700 screen via a Calldigit TB2 docking station, but the machine is really showing its age now and I really need to sort a new one out.

Whenever someone rings out of the blue claiming to be Microsoft, and insisting they help me with my computer, I tell them it's a BBC Microcomputer Model B. But only after a very slow boot up process.

Whenever someone rings out of the blue claiming to be Microsoft, and insisting they help me with my computer, I tell them it's a BBC Microcomputer Model B. But only after a very slow boot up process.

Always BT with me talking about my internet, must be a warehouse full of illegals somewhere in Birmingham working 16 hours a pay for bed and board

11 iMacs ranging from last year to 6 years old, 2x MacBook Pros 2017, 3 scan 3xs pc systems all i7 with big GPUs, ranging from 2016 to last month, aorus laptop which is a beast but useless as it sounds like a hovercraft.

Now a new 2019 spec i9 MacBook Pro.

A 5 year old Inspiron laptop with 17in screen as the daily. It's not quick at processing, but has an SSD which gave it a new lease of life. I do have an ultrawide monitor that I should hook up, but the extra load of handling a second screen would hamper things a bit. Might try that this week.

2018 Macbook Air.

Once I switched from Windows to Mac a few years ago, I never looked back.

Up until quite recently, my main workhorse PC was over 7 years old. Running an Intel core i5 2500k on an Asus P8-Z68 motherboard with 8gb DDR3 ram - No dedicated GPU (just onboard graphics).

Just last month I updated the PC and built myself a new one from scratch consisting of:

MSI MPG Z360 Gaming Edge AC motherboard
Intel Core I7 9700K processor (8 core 8 threads)
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram
Be Quiet Silent Base 600 PC Case
2 x Corsair MP510 960GB NVMe M2 SSD (one as boot drive and one as scratch)
Bequiet! Dark Rock Slim Cooler
4TB Seagate Ironwolf SATA drive (main storage drive)
8GB Radeon RX Vega 64 GPU
EVGA 750M modular power supply

It's now a flying machine, and total cost less than £1500 (much cheaper than the pre-built systems I was looking at).

I already have a 2013 13" Macbook Pro and a 2018 15" Macbook Pro (with 6 core I7 processor).

At home I have a QNAP TS-473 NAS drive with 32TB storage (RAID 5), with 16gb ram, hooked up to gigabit ethernet which I've run upstairs and downstairs. I use the NAS for both photo storage and for running my EMBY media server directly hosted off the NAS which streams via ethernet to my TV in the lounge and give me a very easy and professional front end for my 12.5tb of movies (over 1500 titles from HD (720p), full HD (1080p) to 4k quality)

Last edited:
I got two actually.

11 inch Macbook pro from 2011 (similar to someone above here^^). It barely holds, so I recently bought a Lenovo computer for about 1000 USD. When you upgrade hardware from 2011 to 2019, you can really feel the difference.

I have an old Intel i5 2500 with 12Gb and nvidea GTX570 (4gb) graphics card. 256g SSD and 120gb SSD for lightroom catalog, 4TB Drive. I have a freenas system with 8TB of storage for my main photos storage and backup of laptop which is 7 years old (I5 5xxx, 16gb with 1 TB drive and a horrid screen, 100mb Ethernet, but wifi is faster), all run windows10 apart from the freenas. Home network is gigabit ethernet. Internet is 100/100 fttp. Planning on replacing my main PC in about a year. Not sure if it will be AMD or Intel based.

I built mine in 2012 and it still deals with everything I throw at it, I can run PS, LR, Illustrator, email, excel, internet and more all at once with out any issues. I've only upgraded the hard drive, graphics card and OS. Was thinking about upgrading to 32GB Ram but after testing with LR, PS, Illustrator, Excel, Word, Email and internet all with lots of images and documents open I don't even reach 8GB of ram usage.

Been pondering a graphics card upgrade to something which can cope with VR but the VR stuff is still too expensive for my liking and I don't really game on the PC with anything that requires a higher spec GPU.

Here's the spec, can't believe it never fails. I wish other stuff was as reliable:

• Cooler Master Elite 430 case
  • x4 120mm case fans
  • MSI Z77A-G45 Motherboard
  • Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler
  • 16GB DDR3
  • Thermaltake PSU SMART 650W/ 80plus Bronze Certificated
  • 512GB SSD (upgrade)
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX1050Ti (upgrade)
  • Windows 10 (upgrade)

Back