How old is your house?

So when I win the lottery and buy my dream home and I am going to get @kendo1 to fit a nice custom kitchen.

Have seen his work and it is top draw.

Make sure you know where pipes and cables are before any work!

I had to go to a customer's house to fix a radiator feed, He was merrily banging in nails to stop squeaks.
Yup I was planning to lift the floorboards and mark where I can drive screws in (rather than use nails).

My house is from the early to mid 1700s (can't remember exactly), and is a bloody nightmare. Single skin brick so it looses heat quickly in the winter and is like a fridge in the summer.

1860. Originally it was the village reading room. Absolutely love it. A very old (as in age - but not from 1860!) neighbour pointed out that when you look at it from over the road you can see where the old windows were. Not obvious until you're told.

You need to go on a course or just get a handyman hehehe

The latter my wife says. Apparently you're not really supposed to just hang mirrors, pictures, shelves etc. by banging nails into plasterboard - but hey - it works, they are still up, and soooooo much easier than all that drilling & raw plugging crap :D

Dave

There's some inconsistency in the hardness of the bricks, which come from mining related brickyards (in the old days many mines round here had their own brickyards to build walls underground, housing, pit head buildings etc.)

But we still have picture rails in most of the house which makes picture hanging easy :)

Bungalow, 2004, 13 years, and already been gutted once due to a water leak. :mad:

70's architecture-free box. Block walls downstairs with concrete floors, stud walls and plasterboard upstairs with chipboard floors. Been here 30-years now.

I use these, ( avaiable at B&Q Wickes etc as well)
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-s...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMui7vmzrNYCFaKG7QodsXICvQ

Dead easy to use, and i've even hung a radiator with them ( some years ago and its still there)
You screw in the metal bit, then screw the screw into that, no drilling required (y)
I use those too. I have the takker and its perfect for pictures, it's idiot proof, load it, line it up then hit the red button. If you need to move it it leaves a very tiny hole almost impossible to see

I have the takker and its perfect for pictures, it's idiot proof, load it, line it up then hit the red button. If you need to move it it leaves a very tiny hole almost impossible to see
Never used it tbh, but it does seem like a good idea :)

Our semi-d house 3-bed was built in 1902, no cavity wall insulation, thick slab walls etc...

We fitted two wood-burners about four years ago which are fabulous at heating our house instead of using gas heating. We love the tall ceilings which are standard in all rooms. We're based in Central Scotland.

:)

Our house is from the 1960's and was a temporary house made from concrete blocks (PRC, I think?). It's been converted to brick now but I haven't a clue how the walls are constructed inside.

1973. New enough to not have to worry about old brittle finishes but old enough that the internal non-load bearing walls are still made of block work rather than stud. Through when it came to re positioning every light switch so that they were no longer located behind open doors, adding in a load more sockets and adding in a wired network I would have quite liked some crappy stud walls!

Bits of our house are 18th century but it's been added to and changed around a lot over the years.

Every kind of walls. Stone, brick, block work etc. Plaster and lathe in places, plasterboard in others.

1870's.

Looks in far better nick than the 10 year old timber framed houses opposite.

Mrs Tringa has one of the Tacker thingies and it works really well. Also agree with Cobra about those "plasterboard screws"; they are excellent and very easy to use.

Dave

My house is 10 years old. We built it ourselves in 2007!

I quite enjoy watching the self build programs on TV but have never heard of a 16yo building their own house.........you did say "my" house didn't you ?

I quite enjoy watching the self build programs on TV but have never heard of a 16yo building their own house.........you did say "my" house didn't you ?
Well me and my family did. I consider it my house since you know, I live in it.

Last edited:

Fairly quick & easy though TBH. Plenty of trees & ............. a chainsaw. :D

1840s and mainly built from brick with some stone. However, the walls have been dry lined so consequently there's a void behind. It definitely seems to be in better condition than the nearby 60s jobs.

Back