How safe would you feel out alone with your camera equipment ?

If you are not hurt then probably the police won't investigate but does that really matter. A long as you provide serial number & other details and get a CRN at least you will get insurance. They won't entertain a claim without a CRN. In most cases the details will be logged correctly and if the equipment should turn up it can be traced back to you. That is the point of reporting crime. It's a bonus if the thief is caught and hung fined.

PS if they don't report the theft of hundreds of pounds then either they have too much money or not enough sense (possibly both).

TBH most stuff that gets robbed, like 'phones, money etc, can easily be replaced. Or it's just not worth bothering with the insurance for, as the return is so small compared to the hassle. Just report it as lost instead, much easier. Obvs for more expensive stuff, then yeah, report it. As for expecting any sort of 'justice', most people are pragmatic, and don't.

Crime is, historically at least, lower than it was 30 years ago. Certain forms of crime are massively on the increase, such as street robbery. This is cos people carry stuff around with them, that is worth loads. So either keep it hidden away, don't look like an easy target, or don't have anything with you that you don't want to lose, is the simple answer. And use your common sense, rather than statistics. Is it likely that you may be robbed? Probably not. Is it possible that you may be robbed? Yes.

TBH most stuff that gets robbed, like 'phones, money etc, can easily be replaced. Or it's just not worth bothering with the insurance for, as the return is so small compared to the hassle. Just report it as lost instead, much easier. Obvs for more expensive stuff, then yeah, report it. As for expecting any sort of 'justice', most people are pragmatic, and don't.

Crime is, historically at least, lower than it was 30 years ago. Certain forms of crime are massively on the increase, such as street robbery. This is cos people carry stuff around with them, that is worth loads. So either keep it hidden away, don't look like an easy target, or don't have anything with you that you don't want to lose, is the simple answer. And use your common sense, rather than statistics. Is it likely that you may be robbed? Probably not. Is it possible that you may be robbed? Yes.

Juxtaposition?

AZ6 - making sh1t up since 11th Feb 2020.

TBH most stuff that gets robbed, like 'phones, money etc, can easily be replaced. Or it's just not worth bothering with the insurance for, as the return is so small compared to the hassle. .

I have twice claimed, not for theft.

First time a lad in my employ lost a wallet containing my money. Filled in a claim for (maybe 10 mins) and after answering one question of how I calculated the total lost (5 mins on phone) money was repaid. No URN needed at the time.

Second time I lost a PDA, fallen out of my rucksack, obtained CRN, filled in insurance form and again 1 question 'Did I look for it', answer no as location was 35 miles away and no idea when it had fallen out. Equipment replaced.

Value both time wasn't high although more than I wanted to write off. No hassle at all and personally I don't see why I should loose out when I had paid the premium and had genuinely lost the money/pda. If I had not had insurance I would have just had to take the hit.

I am aware that if I go to secluded areas, and park the car, there is a chance of a problem with theft etc. But I am not going to let that spoil a good photo opportunity, The chances are really quite small. As my main aim is wildlife photography, it would be very bad luck to get into trouble in the places I visit...:) (Cross fingers)

As my main aim is wildlife photography, it would be very bad luck to get into trouble in the places I visit...:) (Cross fingers)

Worth noting that nature reserves with car parks are often targets for thieves, I have seen a few police warning signs around. :)

a fair few year ago i was out on a busy main road at around 6.30 in the winter doing 'slow shutter' motorway photos, i was on my own and had my kit on a tripod. I saw the same car go past me twice which i thought was odd... the third time it came past me i got the idea that i should get out of dodge... so pulled the tripod together opened my drivers door put my kit in and just as i did that the car stopped next to me and two guys said 'what are you doing' as they got out.. i simply sped off not waiting to find out! learnt a good lesson that if you don't feel safe trust your instincts!

a fair few year ago i was out on a busy main road at around 6.30 in the winter doing 'slow shutter' motorway photos, i was on my own and had my kit on a tripod. I saw the same car go past me twice which i thought was odd... the third time it came past me i got the idea that i should get out of dodge... so pulled the tripod together opened my drivers door put my kit in and just as i did that the car stopped next to me and two guys said 'what are you doing' as they got out.. i simply sped off not waiting to find out! learnt a good lesson that if you don't feel safe trust your instincts!

You'll never know if were in danger and that will further erode your feeling of threat. Nevertheless, I am in no doubt that you did the right thing. (y)

This could have gone one of two ways

Genuine intrest in what you were doing with the camera etc , all very good

or

End up being mugged , I think you did the right thing

Back